GoPro Hero for Snowmobiling?

C-bus

My brother is an avid snowmobiler. For Christmas this year, I'd like to get him a GoPro for his helmet. He's not a needy guy and not particular about things like this. It's just something that he would never spend on himself.

I'm looking at the standard Hero for $129. Description states that it is waterproof up to like 130 ft.

My questions:

It's a base model....is it garbage or will it take some fun recreational video of his snowmobile trips?

Is it waterproof in itself (read snow-proof) or do I have to get an accessory case?

What is the best mount for a snowmobile helmet?

Are there other options which are better at that price point?

Thanks OR.

Edit: Doesn't have to go on his helmet if you have other suggestions.

Edited by C-bus

The case itself is waterproof. I beleive they all have the same 2 cases in the box. One being waterproof, and one not.

As far as video quality. I think the white edition shoots 720p @ 20fps. Pretty standard stuff. So it should shoot pretty good video.

The all come with a curved mount, and a flat mount. Curved usually works well for helmets.

This is off the topof my head without any current research.

I have a Hero 3 black edition.

Edited by Cdubyah
  • Upvote 1

I have a Hero 2 that I use for both my bike and sled. You can get a motorsport specific edition which has all of best mounts for helmets or on a vehicle. I've never had any issues with mine other than the cold can reduce the battery life. Cdub is correct with the curved mount. It works great for the helmet. Below is one of movies I have taken with mine.

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hR176oRnz8

• Upvote 1

The only difference between waterproof and not is the back cover (unless you have just a frame) Hit up GoPro ' s website and look for refurbished units. I will say this, the Hero3+ I have takes much better video than my Hero2 or Hero3. But it also does 60 frames per second on 1080p