Stocks under $10

Gump

Scottrade or similar outfit. Simple explanation, setup account, link bank account, Transfer funds to Scottrade then buy stocks. Takes seconds to buy or sell a stock.

Try investopedia.com to learn.

Edited by Gump

IMO these <$10 stocks are investments you're willing to lose but the rewards can be huge.

If you read Kiplingers finance, they suggested 10 shares and if you bought 100 shares of each you'd "probably" be ok. Some of those are above.

Edited by Gump

IMO these <$10 stocks are investments you're willing to lose but the rewards can be huge.

If you read Kiplingers finance, they suggested 10 shares and if you bought 100 shares of each you'd "probably" be ok. Some of those are above.

OOC what was their logic?  Stock price means a lot lees then percentage points.

Are these new offerings? 

OOC what was their logic?  Stock price means a lot lees then percentage points.

Are these new offerings? 

IPO's? No.

Logic, I think they're betting that the amount of gains possible beats the losses of most of them?

http://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/investing/T052-S003-great-stocks-under-10/index.html

Edited by Gump

Purchased Apple about year and a half ago too, its a little pricey now but i honestly do not see it going anywhere if you are looking at long term.

Personally I wouldn't be touching apple anytime soon. They have absolutely no innovation and the tech Jobs supposivly left behind for 10 years is already out of date. With Obama not going to legally get any legislation through I would be putting my money in oil stocks.

Personally I wouldn't be touching apple anytime soon. They have absolutely no innovation and the tech Jobs supposivly left behind for 10 years is already out of date. With Obama not going to legally get any legislation through I would be putting my money in oil stocks.

Oil is taking a beating right now because OPEC is trying to kill off the US fracking boom & trying to squeeze Russia's economy (which is based on oil trading at $100+ per barrel).

I wouldn't touch oil right now. 

I play with a few under 10 dollars 

Vale and Clf  not bad for long term and with a div.

Nete I have made some money on and just bought it again at 1.38

Fomx bought at 4.90

Meet should be a 2.50 stock

The problem with stocks under 10 dollars to make any money one needs to have a lot of shares. Also watch stocks that get pumped up for no real reason and short them. 

Bottom line do your research trading can be very emotional and can loose a lot of money. Make sure you use trailing stops or stops to prevent major losses

If you are going to invest $1,000 what difference does it make what the stock price is?

A $100 dollar stock has the same chance of going to $110 as a $10 stock has to go to $11.  It's still 10%.  I bought a Biotech fund 2 years ago at $110 that is currently trading around $240.

The exceptons would be a new offering where the price has not yet stabilized, or perhaps penny stocks (which are crazy risky).

If you are going to invest $1,000 what difference does it make what the stock price is?

A $100 dollar stock has the same chance of going to $110 as a $10 stock has to go to $11. It's still 10%. I bought a Biotech fund 2 years ago at $110 that is currently trading around $240.

The exceptons would be a new offering where the price has not yet stabilized, or perhaps penny stocks (which are crazy risky).

I think we all know how %'s work.

Their point of not buying 1 is simply to improve your odds when all the picks are high risk. If your 1 fund tanks you're screwed, not that you have only 1 or it was high risk to begin with. On a bigger scale, the rule of thumb is to have a diverse portfolio. Nice gains by the way.

I tend to stay away from anything linked to the gubment and simply look at past trends but more importantly years ahead at what are people going to use/need. Then there's the media, the right story, financial results, corrupt CEO, viral hype, shoots the stock up or down.

I'm intrigued by this.

Are you all viewing these as short-term investments?  I would be more interested in shorter term and higher-risk than investing for retirement...

I'd wager $100 on some of these $10 stocks for a year.

Couple things to think about

capital gains taxes (short term/long term)

cost of trading (cost per trade)

Volume how many shares trade per day

also something to think about is dividend stocks. I have a few stocks that have a good dividend % that are dollar cost averaged into the portfolio.

You're crazy.  No innovation?  They just released 2 "new" phones, but if you want innovation, well, wait until the iwatch comes out.  Between the new phones, the China market, and the iWatch, they're pretty certain to have a good financial outlook.  

Heaven forbid they ever get around to finalizing the deals with cable companies and announce an actual iTV ;)

In all honesty, I started buying apple in maybe 2008, and I spent $1,000 on 8 shares, at $120 each.

I re-bought more at $360, and then some more later... In any event, it went up to over $645 before it split 7-for-1.  Then it was $92 a share.

I spent another $3,000 on it about a month ago, at $102 per share.  Yes, sure, it was at an all-time-high, someone will point out... But It's at $115 right now.

Anyway, they're going to have an insanely strong holiday season, followed by constant reports of how they're (as always) selling more iPhones than the model before it, each time breaking their own records for most sales.

If you want to "play around" in the stock market, you'll probably lose money.  The best way to MAKE money is either to research every single company you want to buy and pick a strong one, or make solid purchases and plan to hold them long term.

I'm intrigued by this.

Are you all viewing these as short-term investments? I would be more interested in shorter term and higher-risk than investing for retirement...

I'd wager $100 on some of these $10 stocks for a year.

Short term if it's decided to sell within a year.

Long term if it's decided to hang on to it more than a year

Depends.

Could be for retirement but not likely. These kinds of stocks you need to stay on top of constantly. Set price alerts, et cetera.

If it surges I either sell and walk away or hold. Depends on why the surge.

It's Vegas with better odds.

If you're wagering $100 on some of those $10 stocks for a year, then make sure you research your brokerage account... some online ones cost $10 a trade.  So if you're already in the hole $20 to buy $100 worth of stock ($10 for the purchase and the $10 it'll cost to sell it all) then you REEEAAALLLYYY need to see a huge spike to make profit.  

One thing that I'd like to figure out is how does a stock start crashing or surging days before there's a press release about the company which is the cause of the surge or crash. Is it insider trading, word of mouth? Whatever it is it'd be nice to get in the loop.

One thing that I'd like to figure out is how does a stock start crashing or surging days before there's a press release about the company which is the cause of the surge or crash. Is it insider trading, word of mouth? Whatever it is it'd be nice to get in the loop.

I totally agree. I'm always looking for information. I'm sure its inside trading, computer trading and what ever else that the general public will never know. 

I love watching CNBC and when they say something about a certain stock I see the bump a few seconds later. Funny thing is that CNBC only talks about the same 10 stocks every day (sarcastic ). Cramer is the king of pump and dump