Suggest a nightstand safe

Casper

Ask Magley..

You beat me to it, and I'm sure he'll school us all.

In the meanwhile, I can tell you that I've been one of those people awakened at 3am from violent shouting and gunfire outside a ground-floor inner-east-side slumlord apartment window. I rolled to the floor even before I woke up and covered a loaded, revolver with my right hand. Adrenaline pumping, seeing flashing red lights both inside and outside my eyeballs, not knowing whether the sound was coming from perps or cops or who else, I did manage to quickly sort out enough of what was going on, stayed low and stayed as silent as a rabbit until things were diffused. I didn't run out to save anyone, but I also didn't make the problem worse. From that point I've never regretted owning a gun and I grew to trust my instincts and self-control. As such, I don't have a problem keeping a loaded pistol in a secure and quickly-assessable location.

Anyway, Ben wanted product recommendations.

I have one of these: Bulldog BD4020 Magnum LED Vault

Picked it up at Cabelas for around $120.

I have it bolted down under my nightstand to the wall and the floor. Currently has most of my handgun ammo, 1 full sized handgun, 2 subcompacts, and important documents. It acutally has quite alot of space.

Spring loaded front door after 4 digit key code, also has manual key. You can turn off the key sounds as well.

To me the bulldog has a better build quality than a gunvault. Heavier guage steel. Not as easy to pry open.Although the 2nd level tray is kinda flimsy until you put wieght on it.

The only thing I don't like is that you actullay have to hit the "wake" button before you can hit the buttons  to unlock. The LED light pretty much sucks too.

Had to turn it off at assault rifle, first assault rifles are hard to get. By definition it is a select fire weapon.

At least he got the terminology right and didn't say assault weapon.

A 223 is much less likely to go through dry wall than 12ga with buck shot or a hand gun. Because the bullet is so light and designed to tumble when hitting an object. A 14.5" ar 15 patterned rifle with a pined flash hider or even suppressed is the ideal HD gun. That or a large caliber handgun with a suppressor loaded with frangible ammo.

I need to get one of these too and interested in the recommendations given here.

For the record, I have no small children and those that visit aren't allowed in my bedroom and are never unsupervised (i watch kids like a hawk in my house because we have many fragile expensive items - i.e. Chihuly glass sculptures).

I also have a keyed stack-on which houses my EDC which I really like, but it opens from the top so a nightstand may not work.

I also have some Walmart thing that opens from the top. I'm not a fan because you have to hit a wake-up key. For me, no problem. But my wife is less of an enthusiast and doesn't care to memorize the idiosyncrasies of each different safe.

So I have some questions about this too as I've run into a few issues with my 9volt Bulldog not opening off the 9V battery, but the one with a AA setup works fine.  These are the 4 finger code models, and I dunno WTF.  BUT I would NOT buy one again.  Takes way too many batteries, or doesn't work lol.

Anyone else having any issues with theirs opening off the 9V only? 

No problems with my 4-digit model. It opens by battery every time and I've had it for over a year. Be sure to use the best batteries you can afford. I think I put lithiums in mine.

Just did this today, well bought the lithium battery. 9.00 a piece so hoping it works.  The AA battery model has had the same batteries for 2 years and works fine still. 

I replace them when I do smoke/CO detectors, but if I'm dropping a lithium in there it better work all year at 9.00 LOL.  Thanks for the heads up, I had a feeling it was just a cheap battery issue. 

I don't know where you come up with some of the gun info you spew lately.

And for your info, a 223 or 5.56 which is far more common will go thru many interior walls before stopping. :nono:

http://how-i-did-it.org/drywall/results.html

For ADD scroll down to summary.

Edited by zx3vfr

I had a police officer tell me that the AR-15 was the single best home defense weapon in his arsenal.

I forget where I read this, but someone a while back told me a story about a guy who'd had numerous break-ins. Twice he confronted the burglars with a handgun, and they just stood there, grabbed the stuff and left. The third time he confronted them with an unloaded AR (only thing he had close by). The second the burglars saw the weapon, they dropped everything and ran. As of the story, he hadn't been burglarized since. Take that for what it's worth. It's a story I may have been told, maybe I read it, no idea. Just something that made me chuckle and I vaguely remember. 

I don't know a single person that would use that ammo in a home defense, or any other AR for that matter. It's a 223 hunting round. 5.56 FMJ is the standard. Would penetrate all layers in that goofy test set up they built.

Yea, I wouldn't use that for home defense either. We use that very round for groundhog and whatever other animal we are shooting at that day.

Don't bring a pen to a knife fight, and in the case of any break in you have no idea if it's a knife fight or a Sherman Tank fight.  I'm grabbing the biggest firepower weapon I can within reason, probably no RPGs or anything, BUT I want to be better suited than anyone else maybe.

• Upvote 1