Fng

I Drive A Honda

Hello Ohio Riders :)

My name is Ben and I'm 21 and live in Columbus just north of OSU. I graduated from Olentangy in '04 and I think there are a few people here that did also, what's up guys?

I'm considering joining the dark side and picking up a bike. I've been into modding cars for the last 4 years or so. First had a 98 accord 5 speed with I/H/E, sold that for a 99 Integra Gsr then I fully built the head, did some other things and was planning to boost it but got bored and picked up a 92 hatch with a 99 jdm integra type r swap. Put full tein suspension and some recaro seats along with some bolt ons and had a very fun low 13 second daily for about the last year but have now grown bored with this, too and want a sportbike so I figured I'd check out the site, see what's out there and try to find a bike I like.

1 question though: I don't really want to get a bike without my parent's blessing because my mom used to work in a hospital and saw numerous people die from bike accidents and said she wouldn't speak to me if I ever bought a bike lol. So I was wondering... what arguments did you use to convince somebody that thought you shouldn't get a motorcycle that they were ok? I plan on taking some sort of training course but that didn't seem to help my case at all. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ben

Welcome aboard!

Tell her you'll take the MSF course, and wont ride till you purchase full riding gear. Helmet, Boots, Gloves, Jacket, etc..

~Or the method I used: Told my Father I wanted a sportbike. Learn how to ride, then ride over to your Mother's house with it. :D My Dad nor me will never hear the end of that haha..that was when i was 17.

Man there is alot of Bens on this site. Your last name isn't Dover is it? Cause I knew a guy up there named Ben Dover. :lol:J/K.

The only advice I can give you on buying a sportbike w/o yo mommas blessing is something you wont want to hear. Start small. Get an old, used, small bike. Get your temps and get some miles under you before even considering a supersport (600 or above sport bike). If you dont want Mom scraping you up, Do baby steps. You can pick up a starter bike for $1000-1500, ride it this season and sell it for the same $ next season provided you dont crash it. Then get a SS bike. And absolutely take the MSF course. It will learn you things you thought you knew and save $ on insurance, which for you will be high. BTW, you dont need to have a bike yet to take the MSF, they will provide one.

Good luck, and welcome aboard.

Man there is alot of Bens on this site. Your last name isn't Dover is it? Cause I knew a guy up there named Ben Dover. :lol:J/K.

The only advice I can give you on buying a sportbike w/o yo mommas blessing is something you wont want to hear. Start small. Get an old, used, small bike. Get your temps and get some miles under you before even considering a supersport (600 or above sport bike). If you dont want Mom scraping you up, Do baby steps. You can pick up a starter bike for $1000-1500, ride it this season and sell it for the same $ next season provided you dont crash it. Then get a SS bike. And absolutely take the MSF course. It will learn you things you thought you knew and save $ on insurance, which for you will be high. BTW, you dont need to have a bile yet to take the MSF, they will provide one.

Good luck, and welcome aboard.

No man its Ben Derover.:drink:Welcome Ben.

:welcome: to the board!

How old are you? After I moved out I still valued my parents input, but they had zero say in whether I pursued something or not.

If you want to put her at ease - MSF, full gear and all that...

You're like 5 times more likely to die of heart disease or stroke than in a motor vehicle accident.

:welcome: to the board!

How old are you? After I moved out I still valued my parents input, but they had zero say in whether I pursued something or not.

I could just go out and buy one, which I may do if it gets too much further into the season without getting their OK, but I'd prefer to not do it against their will.

Thanks for the welcomes

Welcome aboard!

Tell her you'll take the MSF course, and wont ride till you purchase full riding gear. Helmet, Boots, Gloves, Jacket, etc..

+1

That's want I did. My Mom did not like the idea of her baby having motorcycle but once I took the SAFETY course she felt better.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/brcschedule.htm for more info!

By the way :welcome:

:welcome:

+1 for the MSF course and always wear your gear.

I just bought the bike and brought it home after many hours & days for research. My girl was pissed, but my argument was that her engagement ring was more expensive than my new toy :D

not sure what argument to use for parent's if you still live at home...if you don't, then who cares what they think (unless you have a trust fund)

I could just go out and buy one, which I may do if it gets too much further into the season without getting their OK, but I'd prefer to not do it against their will.

Thanks for the welcomes

if you really need to start riding right now and want at least a little bit of approval from the mom, i would get a ninja250. its boring as all shit by the end of the season, but you can sell it for what you bought it for next year around this time (unless you wreck it or bought it new right now), and then upgrade this winter when bigger bikes are a lot cheaper.

dont forget the gear, and the MSF course is a great way to learn how to ride. sign up for one and start trying to get a walk-in spot. my class was for august when i signed up, but i got in a course in april by just showing up every week.

• 2 weeks later...

i told my mom that i would get all the gear BEFORE i bought the bike and took the MSF course BEFORE i bought the bike. and when i finally bought the bike i made her follow me around to places to get her used to me being on a bike... she still will worry like any mom does but she seems more at ease about it now after some time.

an added bonus is that she buys all my safety gear because she doesn't want me riding without it... i picked it and as long as she was down with the price she chipped in... she even helped pay for my full suit...maybe im a momma's boy but who wouldn't turn down the opportunity for freeish gear?

dude, the only thing to do is just go get it and bring it home. thats what i did and she'll be mad at your for a month or so.. but then they get over it and love you again!:banana:

This is what I did. My mom has been a nurse since she was 18... She was not happy but, after a month or two it was cool again!

Also... Ben whats your last name? Im an 04 Oldandscrungy Gradumuate. PM me if you cant disclose the info Publicly :eek:

yeah, I kept telling my parents I was gonna get one, and knowing my addiction to stupid fast toys, I'm sure they knew it was coming. They just weren't happy when I actually went out and bought one :D My mother was a nervous wreck for the first few months, but by the end of last season she actually rode with me, we were going to meet my sisters and dad for dinner.

My mom actually has her motorcycle endorsement, she rocked an old Honda dual sport back in the day, pretty cool :p