Scorpion EXO-500

jacobhawkins

I need a new get-me-by helmet after one day on the mini track and see Motorcycle Superstore has the EXO-500 for $70.  I'll be getting another Shoei soon, but this deal has me intrigued.  I'm 2 miles from the Pony, but can't get down tonight to try one on so I'm curious what other folks think about this helmet.  Head shape/sizing is my main concern.  The Shoei fit well and I'm a medium.  The Scorpion has, as far as I can tell, some sort of air inflating thing that helps snug up the fit?  Seems strange, but what do I know?

Help?

I hated my EXO 500. I have an oblong shaped head. The XL was snug, but the 2XL was too loose. It never really broke in after 2 years of usage.

The helmet would dig into my forehead quite badly. Enough to leave a visible mark on my head for a couple of hours.

I currently have a Shoei RF1100 in XL, and could not be more pleased with the fit. Just to give you a comparison.

Ha!  Well, I just placed the order.  We'll see how it works out...  I really don't expect it to be as nice as the now crashed RF1100 and if it's a totally bad fit, it'll be up for sale here by Monday.  

Edited by jacobhawkins

I also had a 500. Felt very comfortable but the back cut( or so is what I'll call it) was way to low for me. If seamed to always rub the back of my jacket while in the riding position and made my neck sore. My new lid is a speed and strength and it looks to be a higher back cut. While riding I can look straight up and never touch my jacket. Just some food for thought.

Well a medium exo-500 is a little tight after 4 hours. Cheeks are the issue, even all the way "deflated". Damn comfortable for the first 3 though, quiet, and the little sunvisor looks dumb, but is pretty effective.

I'll keep my eye out for a deal on an rf1200, but for now, I like it ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe 1000 miles in at this point, it's gotten more confortable.  Airflow is pretty good and I am really liking the sunvisor.  That "fog free" coating is total bullshit, it is fucking miserable in the rain.  For me, this is only a fair weather helmet.  Still happy with it for the most part.