cheap gps lap timers (ebay)

RHill

Curious if anyone has any experience with one of these or similar: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251570068118?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This season has been nothing but issues with the XT.  Would like to get a GPS unit, but I'm not dropping $350+, would rather spend a day and half more at the track and stare at my blank XT display.

If you're open to the smartphone app route, Harry's Laptimer connected to a bluetooth GPS antenna works pretty well. I run it with an XGPS160 and it works great now that I have the antenna actually mounted on the bike instead of just in my pocket. The lap analysis features are pretty sweet too. It works with a bunch of other antennas that might be cheaper, just have to make sure they have a decent refresh rate.

If you're open to the smartphone app route, Harry's Laptimer connected to a bluetooth GPS antenna works pretty well. I run it with an XGPS160 and it works great now that I have the antenna actually mounted on the bike instead of just in my pocket. The lap analysis features are pretty sweet too. It works with a bunch of other antennas that might be cheaper, just have to make sure they have a decent refresh rate.

Phone is an uninsured company phone, so riding with it is not an option.  I bought Harry's just to try play around with position data; wasn't impressed with the stock GPS of my phone, but have heard external units make it MUCH better. 

Coming from China, it will probably be a couple weeks till I receive mine, but I'll keep the thread updated with the results.

JB went this route as well, and I haven't seen him pursue it, so I'm thinking it was less than ideal.   He loves data.  I believe he sent me the Harry's readout from his commute home in the F150 when he first had it set up :p

I don't think keeping the phone safe on the bike is a huge issue, but my 8 gig iPhone 5C was only $.99, so I have a lot less invested than most people... 

Curious if anyone has any experience with one of these or similar: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251570068118?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This season has been nothing but issues with the XT.  Would like to get a GPS unit, but I'm not dropping $350+, would rather spend a day and half more at the track and stare at my blank XT display.

I've got a Starlane Stealth GPS-2 I'm going to be putting up for sale.  I'm just waiting for a Solo-DL to arrive.  I assume I'll have it for the June 21-22 days at Mid-O.  I might still need to use the Stealth for the twilight though.  I was going to ask $200 for it, but I'll do $175 at the track as I won't have to box ship that way.  

I've got a Starlane Stealth GPS-2 I'm going to be putting up for sale.  I'm just waiting for a Solo-DL to arrive.  I assume I'll have it for the June 21-22 days at Mid-O.  I might still need to use the Stealth for the twilight though.  I was going to ask $200 for it, but I'll do $175 at the track as I won't have to box ship that way.  

Might be interested in the Starlane, hopefully the one I ordered will arrive before then and I can see how it works at Mid-O.

Ahh, sorry, I missed where you said you already ordered it.  I'm usually in garage 14 (grey Aprilia with red wheels) if you want to come check it out.  But I hope the one you ordered does the job for you.  Being able to analyze the data with any GPS laptimer is a HUGE help with seeing where you can drop time.  I bought mine just because I thought they were cool.  I didn't realize how much it would help.   Swing by if you get a chance either way, we can compare some laps.

• 2 weeks later...

Timer and battery came in.....Hardware seems decent, but there is a small air bubble around the screen edge.  Probably not the highest quality LCD screen, but it functions well.  Battery (from a separate seller) was puffed when it arrived, but is seeming to hold a charge.

Took it to the grocery store parking lot to do some laps and test it out.  Worked well; did laps at varying pace and the timer reflected the pace.  It would count the lap at a very predictable location each time.  The lap display showed the previous lap time in big numbers for about 10-15s.

Tried to download the data from the unit using the USB.....however, it never connects. It will take a charge, but not connect as hardware.  I was running on the assumption that you can connect and pull the GPS data from the unit to see the results.....mainly cause of the image below.

gps%20lap%20timer%20tutor.jpg

If I can't offload the data, that sucks; but if it works as an accurate and reliable GPS timer, I'll be happy.  Next track day I'll be running the GPS & XT side by side with the GoPro recording the laps to test the precision & accuracy.

My feeling after the parking lot test.....anyone want to buy an XT timer?

Edited by RHill

Ahh, sorry, I missed where you said you already ordered it.  I'm usually in garage 14 (grey Aprilia with red wheels) if you want to come check it out.  But I hope the one you ordered does the job for you.  Being able to analyze the data with any GPS laptimer is a HUGE help with seeing where you can drop time.  I bought mine just because I thought they were cool.  I didn't realize how much it would help.   Swing by if you get a chance either way, we can compare some laps.

I plan to be there the 22cd (weather permitting).  I would be interested if you are selling it at that time.  I will look you up.

"Sorry that this laptimer can not be connected to the computer so you nly can read the data on the time screen. No software need to install, you can directly use it. Pls try to use it and you will find how wonderful it is."

:facepalm:

Oh well, if it is a functioning laptimer I'll be happy

Assuming you can get a GPS signal (spotty with a phone inside your leathers) - RaceChrono for Android is what I've used in the past.

I think it would definitely work better if I mounted the phone on the triple and/or used a bluetooth GPS antenna.

This is what I was referencing, but I thought there was an iPhone version as well

Timer is a bare bones unit, but functions well.  It doesn't seem to store data, so each session you go out it overwrites the previous sessions times.  I'm OK with that as long as I can get the GoPro to pick up the display and record the times each lap.  The screen is very glossy, and the angle was causing it to glare really bad on camera, but I could see it very well on track.

Kind of sad, with just a little bit of memory and a little more detailed programming, it would be a very capable lap timer for less than 1/3 the other GPS units.

i'll be testing Harry's GPS timer on an iPhone 4 with the UltiMate external GPS sensor on 7/18/15.

Still figuring out how to use it, and it's impossible to test without creating a track near my house.  That's a task I haven't had time to accomplish yet, so I'll probably waste most of practice getting it set up, then forget to turn it on in the race!