KZ440 resto-rework

claine650

Bought a $400 bike this weekend since I'm tired of not having a project to work on. 1982 kawasaki kz440 ltd belt drive, 14,000 original miles, runs good and is a perfect candidate for a cafe - tracker style build imo. Should be a fun project

Feast your eyes on this beauty lol

caf969e5df20779a58c374c83ed4a4b8.jpg

That's a good core bike. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

I think so too, it's pretty clean for its age. Excited to start working on it.

Looks like a perfect pick for a project. Good bike, parts are plentiful, straightforward to work on and you bought it cheap...!

Yeah there are some specific parts that aren't easy to find for this, but I plan to design and machine some different parts I have in mind at work on the cnc. Alum carb intakes on the head for starters, rear sets, maybe a top triple clamp. Should be a pretty sweet little scoot by spring on a small budget

• 3 weeks later...

Small update:

Got a new (used) full 2 into 1 exhaust, super cheap $80 shipped, brand new is 300, so I'm happy with this find [emoji4] just need to install it.

Need to pick a smaller seat for it, might be temporary till winter when I'll probably cut and redo the subframe to get it more streamline. Also need to find a tank, want something better looking than the tear drop.

Previous owner cut mufflers off and ran straight pipes as you can see.

Pretty darn clean for it age though.

2dfd275e9e683868d9fd2f304f5597b1.jpgccf56bdbed2557c0affdff996ae507d7.jpg874c7cbbd1a461fa118bde83d9681a1c.jpg

Edited by claine650

• 2 weeks later...

So I get bored at work sometimes especially on longer runs, so naturally my brain wonders ways to repurpose parts and scrap pieces to be car or motorcycle parts.

a1cdd1a6f0784cc8b505459b3f2cb71c.jpg56ff28151cb12f48ededdc7edeb9354b.jpgee9c41589e0a2cda1a454dec8e509609.jpg

Made this dual tail light for the kz, still need to put the second LED light on but I think it's pretty cool. probably gonna attach singnals to the side to make all in one unit. It's made from scrap pieces of machined aluminum welded together. Actually gets machined into a heat sink for something, they just happen make a perfect little assembly with the $10 Led lights so this is my product of boredom and thinking about things I want to do to the 440 lol.

Edited by claine650