Good action cam for cheap.

swingset

If anyone is in the market for a more affordable action-cam/dash cam, I picked up the Sport Shot knockoff of the Hero off Amazon on a friend's recommendation (who uses these for quadcopter use). For $55, it's pretty sweet. Feature packed, 2" lcd, takes great video and stills, 1080p, 12mp, wi-fi and app controllable, easily swapped batteries, and comes with a boatload of Go-Pro compatible mounts. Very nicely built, too, doesn't feel cheap or poorly made.

I am not in love with ride videos...for the most part they just suck, yeah, I said it...but I do love having a dash-cam running if some Somali shrew in a minivan wants to cut in front of me and put me in a wheelchair for legal documentation....and there's always an outside chance I'll do something awesome and catch it on film. Anywho, it does both those things well. In low and rapidly-changing light situations it shoots well and clear, and has decent sound. Features are nice, the wide angle is perfect and you can zoom to focus on one aspect pretty easy.

It'd be hard to find a better deal on a cam, especially if you're going to abuse it or risk losing it. Here's some videos I shot on my commute at night, and some back roads with a lot of very direct sun/shadows (always hard on cheap CCD's). Youtube compression just sucks the detail out of it, but it gives you an idea...the 1080 source vid is very good.

• Upvote 1

Might have to pick one of these up if my gopros ever crap out.

Is the battery removable?  I see some of the other versions seem to come with 2x batteries, but I can't find the SportShot 2" with multiple batteries or even batteries sold separately.  And speaking of batteries, any idea of how long a charge lasts?

Might have to pick one of these up if my gopros ever crap out.

Is the battery removable?  I see some of the other versions seem to come with 2x batteries, but I can't find the SportShot 2" with multiple batteries or even batteries sold separately.  And speaking of batteries, any idea of how long a charge lasts?

Yes, easily removed...takes the same battery as most of the other cameras like this, from what I can tell. Charge lasts about 2 hours give or take while filming.