GS850 won't start

BlakeReed

Hello my new and Blake and I'm a new rider. 

I recently traded an Grand Prix GTP for a a 1983 Suzuki GS850 from my friend.

Since I've had it(2-3 weeks) it's ran perfectly fine until this afternoon. 

The things I've put on it since I bought it. 

- Vance and Hines exhaust

- New carbs (for exhaust) & stage 3 dyno jet kit

- Pod Filters

- New battery 

- New starter

I haven't gotten the carbs synced yet.

The bike has ran perfectly fine until I went to the gas station today to fill up, after I filled up I got back on the bike and tried to start it up, it was coughing, coughing, and all the sudden it was like a pop, pop, pop,. like it sounded like a cylinder or two were miss firing. 

I'm new to riding and motorcycle mechanics, any advice or info helps. 

Thanks, Blake. 

Welcome to the forum.

Since this issue came about when you had just filled the tank, and it's an older bike - drain the tank and check for any sediment/rust clogging up the petcock. Drain the tank and try fresh fuel also.

From the video, sounds like the engine isn't getting fuel/too lean condition.  Does this model of Suzuki have a vacuum petcock?  If not that, then I'd check the screen filter on the petcock for blockage.  Check the fuel line for kinks.  Check for a loose vacuum hose.  If all that fails to remedy the condition, pull the carbs and clean the bowls and jets.

I'd guess it's starved for fuel from the sound of things. Like stated above make sure gas is getting to the carbs. If it's vacuum petcock it will have a prime setting. Should say pri on the petcock somewhere. That will allow gas to fill the carbs. Let it prime a few minutes and then try it. If it lights up, switch it from pri to on and see if it stays running. Also like stated above look for linked lines, rotted vacuum hoses etc.