A real Jet Pak

Strictly Street

The article YouTube just read to me says 10 minutes of flight burning 1 gallon of kerosine per minute. More if the pilot is heavy.

Still cool. Not sure why they went with kerosine jet turbines rather than simple light 2-stroke engines, but clearly there has been a lot of thought put into their design.

Here is another one.

It runs on a V4 200 horsepower petrol engine that drives two ducted fans and can fly for more than 30 minutes at up to 74 kilometers per hour and altitudes of up to 1000 meters. It can carry a commercial payload of up to 120 kilograms.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/25/us-australia-france-jetpack-tracked-idUSKBN0P522O20150625?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews#LAIpmYlTyQe7oK81.97

A bit pricey and a little bulky, but even so....

I watched a couple of videos on the Martin jetpack after the first one you posted.  I think that is the most viable option right now, but, as expressed in the first video, it's not a "jet pack" as much as an ultra lightweight personal aircraft.   A jetpack is worn.  The Martin "jetpack" is a small aircraft.  Semantics, perhaps, and certainly something I would look past to own one, but that's not what you picture in your head when you think "jetpack."

Those 'rocket wings' can't take off from the ground.  Disqualified (IMHO).

But what an age we live in, right?  There are competing jetpacks weighing between 100 and 250 lbs., with flight-times in the 10-30 minute range, and what appears to be quite a bit of real-world maneuverability and usefulness.  Better efficiency will only lead to longer flight times, and more practical applications.