Ruger LCP .380

imagineer

Kahr CW9

I'm selling the Kahr if anyone is looking.

I'd be all over it if I hadn't just bought one. As far as I know it's the second lightest single-stack 9mm after Kel-Tek's PF9, and possibly the most compact in form.

Kahr triggers are some of my favorites.  I'm selling the CW9 to get one of the all steel Elite models.

100% agree.  That alone may force me to keep my CM45.

Those Elite models are sweet, especially with high-grade wooden grips.  Stainless and Cocobolo = perfection.

• Upvote 1

I'd be all over it if I hadn't just bought one. As far as I know it's the second lightest single-stack 9mm after Kel-Tek's PF9, and possibly the most compact in form.

if the weight is that big of an issue, leave a couple of rounds out and carry a spare magazine in your hip pocket... 

I am also quickly learning that holster choice is huge when it comes to comfort of carry.  I'm really close to buying an alien gear cloak tuck 2 or 3.  Can't find a bad review of either.

if the weight is that big of an issue, leave a couple of rounds out and carry a spare magazine in your hip pocket... 

I am also quickly learning that holster choice is huge when it comes to comfort of carry.  I'm really close to buying an alien gear cloak tuck 2 or 3.  Can't find a bad review of either.

Leave a couple of rounds out, carry a spare magazine? That is not a good or even smart option, but yes I fully agree that holster choice makes a world of difference. Carry often is the best advice I can give people, but without question the right holster can make a night and day difference in both comfort and overall confidence in carrying.

I carry my full sized Pro Series in the cloak 2. I can carry all day long without issue.

I periodically use an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2 (neoprene, leather and kydex) for my G26 and while it's not perfect, I like it a lot.  The up sides are that it's about as comfortable as you can get because neoprene is soft to the skin and distributes weight evenly across two distant belt hooks.  The holster is tuckable of course, meaning you could tuck in a shirt and only print to people looking for hooks, but I never use mine that way - I just use a second loose cover layer to quicken draws.  Another up side is the satisfying snap of kydex which is adjustable for retention.  They're made really well and the price is impossible to beat.  The only down side I've found is that to me anyway, they're not truly all-day comfortable like others have reported.  I still fatigue wearing one after a few hours and need to remove it for a break if I'm bumming around the house.  Neoprene can get hot and sweaty.  And to remove and readjust regularly negates its advantages because removing and re-installing and adjusting the thing takes longer than a simple single-belt holster or Nemesis slipper.  So, I tend to use the Alien Tuck when I'm on my feet, running errands, with a couple layers of cover garments and use other holsters for other affairs.

Then again maybe I just haven't worn mine enough to get used to it like Cdubyah.  It's sitting and reclining that tends to bug me.

We're talking about a matter of a few ounces here and there...  A revolver would only have 5-6 rounds anyway.  I don't see the harm in carrying 6 rather than 8, if the weight is that big of a concern.

Or maybe that's the point - you think about what you're giving up and rationalize the 'extra' weight.  

Do they make extended magazines for the LCP?  I feel like there is a way to add 1 or 2 rounds and there's a pinky grip on the extended mag.  I know I can get 8 round mags for the PF9, but I like its size as it is.

There is a Ruger factory 7+1 round LCP magazine but they sell fast locally. Best to get them online.

I picked up two 7+1 mags for the LCP at Fin Feather & Fur, but they probably would have been a few bucks cheaper on-line.   

• Upvote 1

Or you can get a PF9 for less than an LCP and have 7+1 from the get-go, along with cheaper 9mm ammo and the larger caliber.????

I really have nothing bad to say about the LCP, but I also really like my PF9. Still haven't had any FTF or FTE yet. Not one. I only have 300 or so rounds through it, but I'm pleased.

I heard that early PF9s had a sketchy reputation but they've been resolved since and are a great value. Lightest 9mm single stack. Just gotta break them in and keep 'em lubed, from what I've read. A friend loved his PF9 before he had to sell it when he lost his job. I wouldn't mind having one in OD green.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update...I decided to forego the LCP .380 and hold out for one that fits my hand better.    Although at ~$200, it is a good value, the LCP frame is just too small.

Looking at the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield .40 now.

hold  PF9 or a CM9.  Both are mildly larger than the LCP, and IMHO, much easier to handle because of that.

For what the LCP and PF9 cost, I consider either practically disposable...  Sell it if you really won't carry it, but otherwise, they're nice to have.  If you liked the LCP design, but not the size, the LC9 is another one that may fit your hand better.  The striker fired model is quite impressive for its size, although for a carry gun, I kind of prefer DAO and no safety.  YMMV.

• Upvote 1

hold  PF9 or a CM9.  Both are mildly larger than the LCP, and IMHO, much easier to handle because of that.

For what the LCP and PF9 cost, I consider either practically disposable...  Sell it if you really won't carry it, but otherwise, they're nice to have.  If you liked the LCP design, but not the size, the LC9 is another one that may fit your hand better.  The striker fired model is quite impressive for its size, although for a carry gun, I kind of prefer DAO and no safety.  YMMV.

The LC9s "pro" has no safety......just an FYI. :)

• Upvote 1

Quick update...I decided to forego the LCP .380 and hold out for one that fits my hand better.    Although at ~$200, it is a good value, the LCP frame is just too small.

The .40 round is just hype, get the 9mm and you will have just as much damage capability......trust me. Wound ballistics are negligible difference, shot placement is still key over anything else. This is coming from those that know a helluva lot more than I do. ;)

• Upvote 1

+1 on the LC9S, PF9, CM9 (or CW9) and M&P subcompact 9. I have no idea why anyone would carry a .40 when so many great 9mm options are out there. Heck, might as well carry a .45 at that point, like a CM45 or Glock 30 - bigger holes with similar recoil to a 40.

But 9mm is a far better carry package in my opinion. Critical Defense, Golden Saber and other great defensive rounds reset the 9mm debate.

• Upvote 1

The LC9s "pro" has no safety......just an FYI. :)

Yeah, i've actually held (not fired) the S and the Pro next to each other.  Both striker fired models  have a better trigger than the 'standard' LC9, but for a carry firearm, I would choose it over either S model.   I just don't want to risk a negligent discharge... 

I love my shield. Ohio armory in Strasburg sells them for $350. I have mine in 40 as that's what all my reloading was set up for. Get whatever caliber you want, the 9 and 40 don't really shoot any different.