St. Rt 536

Howabusa

I decided to ride down to St Rt 536. Haven't rode it in years, since my CORE days. It is the worst road that I have been on this year. Patches, broken pavement and tar strips from beginning to end. It sucks!

Pretty bummed out since she heard the news about 536. They've always been tight. Grew up just down the street from each other. 

Lol, bitch.

I ask because I was planning on riding it tomorrow after I leave IP. Gonna take the long way down through WNF. If the road is in shit condition, I won't make the effort.

...and if you're really adventurous and have the time...cross the bridge in Hannibal,go 5 miles North on WV 2 and take a right onto Proctor Ridge road.You'll know it,it has a caution sign,"Curvy Road Next 26 Miles".The section along the creek is a little rough,but once you get through the switchbacks(the bottom switchback is wicked) and up on the ridge you'll have about 16 miles of twisties.At Johnson Ridge you lose the centerline,the road becomes Amos Hollow road, and it becomes much more remote but still good pavement ...think Wild and Wonderful WV.If you follow it about 6 miles it will climb a hill and T into WV 250.Left will take you back to Moundsville.

I think I just talked myself into going over and riding Proctor Ridge tomorrow.

P.S. Good pie at Quinets in New Martinsville.

• Upvote 1

Rode 536, 556 two weeks ago.  Kent's assessment of 536 is unfortunately very accurate. Painful to ride even on the sumo.  556 is patched and a bit rough in places but overall not bad if your careful. Almost no truck traffic now. Have ridden it 5-6 times this year.

drc32, you my want to check to see if proctor ridge/Amos hollow is open. They have been announcing on the radio Co. 89 in Marshall Co.(I believe that's proctor ridge rd.)as being closed for repair. May want to check WVDOT website to confirm.  

Bridge at 26/260 is open now. Rode 145, 565, 260 to new matamoros last weekend. Good fun as usual.

Heads up.  145 from 145/148 intersection to just outside of Bealsville has been repaved.  Rode it twice last weekend! 

Speed safely!

Edited by EOdesmo
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, zx3vfr said:

but all the fracking monies... where has the fracking monies gone?

If you're talking about 536 being torn up,be patient,it won't be long until it's back to its former glory.In the mean time there are plenty of other good roads to ride.That's the good thing about SEO...every year ODOT paves some more good roads so there is always some good new routes and you don't have to get tired of riding the same old stuff.

50 minutes ago, drc32-0 said:

If you're talking about 536 being torn up,be patient,it won't be long until it's back to its former glory.In the mean time there are plenty of other good roads to ride.That's the good thing about SEO...every year ODOT paves some more good roads so there is always some good new routes and you don't have to get tired of riding the same old stuff.

it was a joke about how dirt poor our state is going to be when Hillary is elected and shuts fracking down.

On July 10, 2016 at 0:30 AM, EOdesmo said:

Rode 536, 556 two weeks ago.  Kent's assessment of 536 is unfortunately very accurate. Painful to ride even on the sumo.  556 is patched and a bit rough in places but overall not bad if your careful. Almost no truck traffic now. Have ridden it 5-6 times this year.

drc32, you my want to check to see if proctor ridge/Amos hollow is open. They have been announcing on the radio Co. 89 in Marshall Co.(I believe that's proctor ridge rd.)as being closed for repair. May want to check WVDOT website to confirm.  

Bridge at 26/260 is open now. Rode 145, 565, 260 to new matamoros last weekend. Good fun as usual.

Heads up.  145 from 145/148 intersection to just outside of Bealsville has been repaved.  Rode it twice last weekend! 

Speed safely!

Thanks for the heads up on 145...that's a fun way to get over to Armstrong Mills and the bottom of recently paved 9.

Proctor Ridge(Creek?) was open but they are working in the area of the switchbacks so it may be closed at other times.

A lot of county/township road paving off of 147 near the town of Key.TR 534 was my favorite,You can pick it up by turning at the gas station in Key,when the road T's turn left,it will take you down to 7.Of course,you could always pick it up on 7,it's marked with a sign.

• 3 weeks later...