Holy crap

Casper

I took a short ride on the XR yesterday to see my dad in the hospital. On the trip there and back I saw 2 cars egregiously run red light...way after it turned red. One was crossing in front of me and I had just started to get on the gas to go (I was in front) when I saw them coming. Had I not looked as I started, they would've nailed me. The other was in the lane next to me and I'd say the light had been red for a good 5 seconds when it just drove right through...pretty close to hitting cross traffic turning in his/her direction who had to slam on their brakes.

I'd better not find out these fools are playing pokemon while driving.

From the comments, his brakes went out and was honking the horn trying to get the bikers attention. 

When i rode on the street, i would never sit in the middle of the lane for that reason. Didn't want to get squished between two cars.

2 minutes ago, ludwb675 said:

From the comments, his brakes went out and was honking the horn trying to get the bikers attention. 

When i rode on the street, i would never sit in the middle of the lane for that reason. Didn't want to get squished between two cars.

Then you try to squeeze by favoring hitting the car whose occupant is well protected, not the motorcycle whom you can easily kill or leave disabled. Easy split second decision. Believe me, it's much more expensive to pay for someone's medical bills than it is to pay to repair their car. Of course, this is a person who can't (or won't) maintain their car properly so I shouldn't give them too much credit for their decision making powers.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ludwb675 said:

P-brake! (aka EMERGENCY BRAKE) he had time to hit the horn. Wonder what percent of brake failures is due to skipping maintenance? looks like had had a single functioning brake light

I am always watching my mirrors for this exact situation.  I know and heard many dumb people who have had the rear brakes out on a vehicle and they continue to drive the car because the front brakes are 70% of your braking power anyway.  I told them that is true, but their are rear brakes on a car for a reason so get your shit fixed.  One of these dumb asses was a friend of mine, I told him to bring his shitty car over and I helped him replace the rear calipers and brakes to make it drivable and safe again.  I told him brakes are one of the most important components on a vehicle and should be inspected periodically for wear and leaks.  I check mine at every oil change.

3 hours ago, ScubaCinci said:

Then you try to squeeze by favoring hitting the car whose occupant is well protected, not the motorcycle whom you can easily kill or leave disabled. Easy split second decision. Believe me, it's much more expensive to pay for someone's medical bills than it is to pay to repair their car. Of course, this is a person who can't (or won't) maintain their car properly so I shouldn't give them too much credit for their decision making powers.

target fixation. He probably went o-shit i'm going to hit that guy and panicked. Also the idea of going through a red light. Not much brain left for decision making. Not saying he had no choice but it's hard. I slid on ice when i was 16 though an intersection. Slid prob 60 feet and could only think shit shit shit. Not to let off brake and steer into the grass next to the road. I hope i would do better now but you never know.