Versys 650 Who has one ??

Killer_kaw

I've had my sights set on a ninja 1000 for spring time. Always been a Kawasaki fan and love how simple the factory hard bags are. While I was out getting new rubber over the weekend I threw my leg over the Versys 650 and liked it immediately. I have no experience with this bike nor do I know anyone who owns one. What's the good bad and ugly? Honestly I've never owned a street bike less than 750cc. Don't figure that's an issue for a commuter but ?? On paper it puts out about half the power of my warmed over zrx but it's got way more power than I typically use. Surely someone here has been on one. 

I've been wanting to ride one for awhile and I hear they are a blast and excellent commuter bikes. The first gen ones can be had for a song. @jnor on here was selling his very nicely set up 2016...not sure if it sold or not.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2016-kawasaki-versys-650-abs-6800-obo.1180986/

Edited by ScubaCinci

We picked up a brand new Ninja 650 ABS this year. Same engine, and overall very similar. I love the thing. Very torque down low, and the power comes on hard. I also really like the idea of a Ninja 1000, but searsouly the 650 is the perfect designed engine for Over-The-Road travel on a bike. You will love the "neutral finder" that Kawasaki says nothing about anywhere in there literature. Very smooth running engine also.

As far as the Ninja 650 goes, its the most comfortable bike i have ever been on. Perfect riding position for long travel. Most people overlook this bike and jump on the new Honda 500 line. But the little extra money gets you very nice upgrades, worthy of the money. 

IMG_20160531_201141559.jpg

IMG_20161012_181542.jpg

11 hours ago, Killer_kaw said:

Thanks for the input fellas. I'm just gonna have to get out and test ride one. Seems there's only a handful of dealers that let you do that. Sure would be nice if Kawasaki did demo days. 

Kawasaki does a demo day at Mid Ohio Vintage weekend.

Although the Versys 650 is a great bike it will feel like a moped in comparison to what you are use to.  I too had a ZRX and although HP is only around 115 to 120 at the wheel, the grunt and torque of that motor makes it feel like 160 HP.  The 650 only has 69 HP at the crank and if you are lucky putting down 50-55 at the wheel.  Torque will feel completely absent.

Have not rode a 650 Versys, but have rode a 650 Ninja and it left me very underwhelmed.  Do not get me wrong it's a great beginners or commuter bike, but is very heavy compared to its small engine (15 pounds more than Yamaha's FJ09 with 60% less HP).  Riding one will tell you more, but I think the Versys 1000 will be a better fit if you are looking for ZRX grunt and all the amenities of a modern street bike. IMHO

Most modern bikes have plenty of power. One day after a stretch riding my sv650 on my 250 v-twin instead I thought there was something wrong with it. because my wrist had forgotten how far I used to twist the throttle. It would be interesting to have an adjustment to make different displacement bikes all have the same response per twist degree. Can really change a bike's image.(besides throttle tube swaps, cable slot shimming)

1 hour ago, ScubaCinci said:

This is why I'll probably never own a full fairing bike again. 

VFR750 was like 9 fasteners which wasn't a problem. 650 was 10 fasteners 6 blind push pins and 3 clips on lower fairing also clips must have been installed right way or they wouldn't line up. Long live nekkedness 

• Upvote 1

My FJR had clips and push pin fasteners that always fell off and usually into nether regions of the engine where I couldn't find/retrieve them - especially the pins because they weren't magnetic. I had to pray they weren't going to bugger something up wherever they ended up.