EBR Black Lightning

everoblivion2005

Any one see the new 1190 model from EBR?

EBR_Black_Lightning.jpg

Anyone familiar with the 1190sx will notice it's basically the same bike with a few street friendly tweaks:

• Rider pegs lowered
  • Suspension lowered
  • Higher handlebars
  • Lowered gearing
  • Blacked out... everything

I think it looks bad ass (but riding an RX I might be a little biased).

15 hours ago, everoblivion2005 said:

Any one see the new 1190 model from EBR?

EBR_Black_Lightning.jpg

Anyone familiar with the 1190sx will notice it's basically the same bike with a few street friendly tweaks:

• Rider pegs lowered
  • Suspension lowered
  • Higher handlebars
  • Lowered gearing
  • Blacked out... everything

I think it looks bad ass (but riding an RX I might be a little biased).

I'd be interested next time around but that bad mofo probably has a higher sticker price than I'd ever think of paying for a ride.

I'd be interested next time around but that bad mofo probably has a higher sticker price than I'd ever think of paying for a ride.

It's 13999, which isn't bad for 185 crank HP and 110 ft lbs, TC, and general all American badassness.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

EBR history scares me more than their bikes. Who knows who will be investing in the company, it changes so frequently. They have been through some ups and downs for sure.

Absolutely, that's why I bought my RX as soon as they came back. I wasn't sure how long they'd be up and running this time. But I've been really impressed with their progress and the way the new owners are handling the company. It's not some big bike company only interested in snuffing out competition or bleeding Erik dry with hundreds of engineering projects this time. It's an owner that actually has a vested interest in the success of EBR. As soon as they came in the set up a very conservative 5 year plan of determined and deliberate growth and development. They just released this bike and have also released that they plan to have a sub 10k bike for sale by 2018. I'm trying not to buy in just to have my hopes crushed again, but with the good work they are doing... they are making it hard not to.

18 minutes ago, everoblivion2005 said:

Absolutely, that's why I bought my RX as soon as they came back. I wasn't sure how long they'd be up and running this time. But I've been really impressed with their progress and the way the new owners are handling the company. It's not some big bike company only interested in snuffing out competition or bleeding Erik dry with hundreds of engineering projects this time. It's an owner that actually has a vested interest in the success of EBR. As soon as they came in the set up a very conservative 5 year plan of determined and deliberate growth and development. They just released this bike and have also released that they plan to have a sub 10k bike for sale by 2018. I'm trying not to buy in just to have my hopes crushed again, but with the good work they are doing... they are making it hard not to.

What is support like for your RX?  Are there actual dealers?  Are parts readily available?

I've ridden something like 60k on Buells, but lost interest in EBR.  For awhile Badweb was the best place for Buell support, and that forum was run by idiots...least it was when I was forced to use it.

What is support like for your RX?  Are there actual dealers?  Are parts readily available?

I've ridden something like 60k on Buells, but lost interest in EBR.  For awhile Badweb was the best place for Buell support, and that forum was run by idiots...least it was when I was forced to use it.

Support has been great for me so far. Had a bit of a fuel pump issue and I emailed EBR support for help. They called me and stepped me through the trouble shooting, discovered it was an issue covered under the warranty and it's actually at the shop now getting fixed up. I've emailed support a couple times with off the wall questions (like asking for the paint code for some color matching) and they always get back to me within a couple days. The dealer network is small right now... very small. But I've spoken to several dealers around here about carrying them and I always get the same answer, "we will look at carrying them after they've got a couple years under them up and running"... so hopefully finishing the year in the black and still having enough to go to IMS is enough to bring a few more on board. Getting factory financing through thunder road will help get dealers interested too.

Have never been a fan of the BUELL/EBR bikes with the exception of the Ulysses.  If that bike had the Rotax or current mill I would have considered.

This bike would be ok if it was not lowered.

As IP said, there reliability is suspect and parts availability would keep me from considering.

On 11/30/2016 at 6:39 PM, whaler said:

Have never been a fan of the BUELL/EBR bikes with the exception of the Ulysses.  If that bike had the Rotax or current mill I would have considered.

This bike would be ok if it was not lowered.

As IP said, there reliability is suspect and parts availability would keep me from considering.

The non-lowered verison is the SX, basically a hooligan naked.  I personally love the clean lines of the EBR's and find a lot of the new stuff coming out of Japan and Italy to be  very overwrought and busy.  On the Ulysses though, even the EBR fans have been screaming for an ADV EBR to succeed that design.  The EBR site has even had a mystery future model AX  listed which we all think will be the Uly replacement.  As far as reliability goes the bikes are solid, the 2014 had some first model year issues and my RX is 2016 bike number 7 off the line so it was subject to a couple issues with some soldering station changes to the fuel pump line (that's why its in the shop now).  I've ordered several parts directly from EBR (Quick Shifter, Tall Windscreen, replacement Rider Peg) and they always ship very quickly.  I know there is some hesitance due to Buell/EBR history but I truly think they've got it right now.  The 2018 release sub $10K bikes will really help them over the top, I hope.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2016 at 3:07 PM, JustinNck1 said:

EBR history scares me more than their bikes. Who knows who will be investing in the company, it changes so frequently. They have been through some ups and downs for sure.

Buddy has 1190 ....whatever the sport bike model is.  I had an older lightning.  Bull is junk.  You'll pay 14k for a bike that will in 2 years be clearanced out for less than half that.  Build quality looks like crap and tech that was once "ground breaking" now makes me say why.

Whenever I see someone with a Buell I feel sorry for them...kind of like the beaten dogs on the ASPCA commercials. :)

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2016 at 4:12 PM, everoblivion2005 said:

Sorry to crush your hopes...

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/eric-buell-racing-shuts-down-again

• Upvote 1

The best motorcycle that Erik ever developed was the XB9.  It was simple, reliable, and had just enough performance to be entertaining.  I've owned 2 of them.   The XB12 barely had more power, but revved slower and the engine had a shorter service life.   The 1125r had a design flaw in the charging system that killed an otherwise good motorcycle (I filed a lemon law claim and won).  EB came very close a few times, but never had the commercial success he was after.

21 minutes ago, Wandering Soul said:

He's come back twice...I wouldn't count him completely gone.  If a good business head ever gets behind him, I would think he'd put out a killer bike.  Because as Tpoppa stated he's a lousy businessman but a hell of an engineer.

He might come back, but he will most likely fail again. The reputation has be tarnished too much. Who buys a bike not knowing if they will even be in business 12 months from release?

• Upvote 2