Want to Purchase 54-55cm Road Bike

Kruse08

Looking for a 54-55cm road bike.  This will be my first road bike.  Not looking for something expensive but want something in well taken care of shape.  Wanting to start riding multiple times a week.  Looking to spend no more than 300$.  If you know of anyone selling let me know.  Any suggestions are welcome as I am new to road bicycling.

I was only going off an online sizing guide.  Like I said I am new to road bikes and know little. Any help is appreciated.  I am looking on Craigslist currently as I am unaware of any shops which would have a bicycle at my price point.

I guess in my mind I was looking at the older Raleigh bikes and such.  Older heavier bikes because they were cheaper.  I can save up more money if need be but was not wanting to invest a lot at the start in case my desire fades away. 

Those lugged composite frames are about 20 years old and have 3 materials you just don't know how they were built back in the beginning or treated since.

something like this would be a fair start if it's not too small

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/bik/5903454058.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/52-cm-Tommaso-Capri-24-Speed-/172403309820?hash=item282409bcfc:g:vIQAAOSw5cNYIvxF

A good way to determine age and quality is the stem is it's an outer clamp aheadset or the old/cheap skinny quill that bends ~90 degrees and clamps inside the fork. (also called threadless/threaded but harder to see) Also go 8 speed or more rear hub

Tiagra sora microshift  brifters would be on my wishlist for current models ultegra or 105 for older stuff. will be a big difference from downtube/stem shifters. For $300 and willing to drive as far as lancaster I'd hold out or offer less on the ones their owners think are worth that much.

look for compact front gearing 46-48 big ring rather than 52. though that will reduce options as it's been popularized since 2010. Otherwise with "race gears there will be several less useful ratios.

Get used to clip in pedals.

get proper shorts

I will message/call the three posted above @Isaac's Papa when I get back in town.  Which one would you rather spend the money one between the cannondale/mongoose/trek?  I would like a bicycle to last for more than a year even if I do become serious about it.  Need time to save up and motorcycling gets a lot of that extra money.  I also have no time rush.  I have had my experiences with rushing and need to think them through more.

1 hour ago, Kruse08 said:

Which one would you rather spend the money one between the cannondale/mongoose/trek?  

the lightest one.(that fits)

for the price I'd go the mongoose, They're all  getting to be old rims/spokes, cables,chains,brakepads, gumwall tires. you'll be in for more money to keep them going more than a year. For a beginner the the treks double isn't as good as the other 2 triple chainrings and with the downtube shifters will be harder to resell when you upgrade. 

Edited by motocat12