Oil Change, chain lube, tighten chain, etc

SuperHawk

Hey guys, I just picked up this bike and the guy said he cleaned the carb, changed the plugs, and put a new air filter in but he said I probably should change the oil. Is this a chore? How should I put the bike, just leave it on the kickstand?

Also, he told me I should lube my chain before every ride, and he gave me what he had left, is that right?

And my buddy said I should loosen something and pull the tire back to tighten the chain often, how often should I do this and what do I loosen?

I also want to change the headlight bulb to like a stock white or whatever, there is some gay blue/greeen one in there, but I think I figured out how to change it.

Anything else I need to know on a bike? What's a "tune up" consist of and how to I make sure my bike is performing top notch?

When should I consider getting new tires, any way to measure?

Thanks for any help, I'm sure I'll have more questions once I begin riding.

I can come over this weekend and change your oil, tighten/lube your chain, and show you how to do it all too so you can do it yourself in the future. (This is a very generous offer cuz I will be gettting my bike back from indy on ffriday) Ha. I have no problem helping out a fellow rider!!

All you will need is oil and a filter. How much do you love your bike and how much of a budget are you on. Mobil 1 MX4T is the absolute best motorcycle oil in the world right now. There is a lubrication engineer on a another website I frequent, and he says no other oil is even close. Its about 2-3 years ahead of the game. Only shitty part is that its $12.50 a quart. Only thing I will use in my bike now that I have researched it. You can get the oil and filter at Iron Pony

Good on you Yota! That's a good dude right there! Where's my thumbs up icon?

BTW, I'm a WD40 on chain guy. Doesn't rob horsepower, wheel moves more freely, and keeps chain clean. Ofcourse I have to rub it on before every ride. Only takes 30seconds. :dunno::D

BTW, I'm a WD40 on chain guy. Of course I have to rub it on before every ride. Only takes 30seconds. :dunno::D

I use PJ1 for that reason. I dont want to do it everytime, especially sometimes cuz I am in a hurry to get somewhere and dont have the time to lube up

BTW, I'm a WD40 on chain guy. Of course I have to rub it on before every ride. Only takes 30seconds. :dunno::D

I use PJ1 for that reason. I dont want to do it everytime, especially sometimes cuz I am in a hurry to get somewhere and dont have the time to lube up

But you always got time for a good face shield cleaning huh? lol

I've done that a lot at gas stations. :D It's gross seeing a harley rider with bug guts all over his face. I don't know WHY they do it. :dunno:

Anything and everything is at iron pony. Your bike holds either 4.3 or 4.5 quarts, so buy 5 and get the K&N oil filters they sell. I could just go with you to the pony, or meet you there. It would prolly be easier.

We can all go and make it a field trip!!! :banana:

Anything and everything is at iron pony. Your bike holds either 4.3 or 4.5 quarts, so buy 5 and get the K&N oil filters they sell. I could just go with you to the pony, or meet you there. It would prolly be easier.

We can all go and make it a field trip!!! :banana:

+1!! What are you guys doing Saturday or Sunday morning? I vote for meeting there but I don't care if you want to ride with me.

Iron Pony is on my way from my apt to my garage so that works for me.

Damn! 5 quarts @ $13 a pop, oh boy! How often do I change it?

I'll call you back here shortly...

Yea it is expensive. You dont have to use it, I just do cuz I love my bike, ALOT. Change it about every 3000

Called you back and left a message. What day works best for you?

I just got an email confirmation my frame sliders shipped today, so I might be able to install those this weekend as well! This'll be a fun weekend! :D

Yea it is expensive. You dont have to use it, I just do cuz I love my bike, ALOT. Change it about every 3000

Called you back and left a message. What day works best for you?

I just got an email confirmation my frame sliders shipped today, so I might be able to install those this weekend as well! This'll be a fun weekend! :D

What type did you get, the cut or no cut frame sliders?

I bought the only kind I found, lol. They said slight modification is necessary. :( But I plan on repainting the bike this winter anyways.

I bought them from "Motovation" online because all the stores I went to couldn't find any for my bike and this was literally 1 of 2 places I found online and on ebay, the other set being a lit pair and $135+shipping. Where I paid $75 shipped for mine.

These are them...

http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/Sc ... product=13

Anyone have a smooth hand to hold a dremel? :eek:

Looks like I need a new front tire,and possibly a rear as well. I was checking over the bike today and the front tire is all wavy/worn uneven and the rear doesn't have much tread in the middle. Any tire recommendations? And how do I get the tires changed? Take it to a place or just take the wheel/tire in or what? And I guess how do I get the wheels off, lol, I didn't look at it but I don't know anything about it.

Also, I noticed my passenger front shock is leaking something I think. I just noticed right around the seal is wet, what's that mean?

Thanks guys

see ya saturday Kevin, hope the rain holds off!

Michelin Power Pilots FTMFW!!!! We can take the front and rear tire off and take them into the Pony and they will mount them. You front fork needs a new seal. I will take a good look at the whole bike for ya on sat. Later bro!

Cool, prices seems reasonable except there labor charges! Jebus! $12/tire to mount + $12/balance, + tubes if my tires need them and an extra $5/tire. Are the Pilot Power's tube or tubeless tires? And is changing the seal something we can do in the garage or what?

If there's nothing special about mounting/balancing motorcyle tires, I'll take them to my buddy to mount/balance them at NTB. I'm used to throwing him $10-$20 to mount and balance 4 tires on my cars, lol.

I did take it today, it was vibrating/bouncing on the front pretty good but other than that it was a blast. Spent about 2 hrs out, got it into 3rd and about 50ish mph, was working on my downshifting and u-turns/tight turns w/out taking my feet off the pegs or holding the clutch in, did pretty good and DEFINITELY feel more comfortable and excited, I got some nice S-curve turns in as well, not sure how much I was leaning, but i definitely know I was. Bike ran great, but it smelled a tad rich when I got off it for a minute to check something and walked behind it. Do they all or what?

I have installed the Cut sliders before and its not hard at all.. masking tape, playdo, drill bils and a dremel and your golden..

As far as lubing your chain goes... use WD40 or Kerosene to clean it good but then after that just go to lowes and get some of the Dupont multipurpose teflon spray.(Blue Can)... Its made to use on chains and works wonders.. The reviews on it have been awesome.. I woudnt continously use WD40 to lube a chain because eventually it can dry out the seals and cause them to crack or break. Lubing your chain before every ride is excessive.. The teflon spray is a dry wax that wont fling and is self cleaning..

If there's nothing special about mounting/balancing motorcyle tires, I'll take them to my buddy to mount/balance them at NTB. I'm used to throwing him $10-$20 to mount and balance 4 tires on my cars, lol.

Your best bet is to have the pony do it. You need to use a Static balancer in most cases. NTB could mount them, but Im not sure if they would be able to balance them right. You could see tho. If they can, I can get you a good deal on tires. We will talk tomorrow.

Edit: Front forks have to be taken off to do the seals....

I I woudnt continously use WD40 to lube a chain because eventually it can dry out the seals and cause them to crack or break. Lubing your chain before every ride is excessive.. The teflon spray is a dry wax that wont fling and is self cleaning..

Oh boy, I can tell that's an argument you haven't had with many people. You won't believe the mileage people are putting on WD40 lubed chaines and sprockets. I among myself and many others have mentioned over 30,000 with light wear! WD40 provides less friction, doesn't ruin rings because the wax collects dirt/dust, isn't thick so WD40 increases wheel spin freely to maximize full horsepower potential. It's the best way for a good dyno run too. The debate has been around for YEARS, and it's finally winning, from people buying a new chain or bike and doing it themselves with nothing but the 40. It's an amazing lube! It even says on the can, for chains. :banana::cool: Lube of the gods in all forms.

Yeah the WD40 debate has been around a long time... To each their own.. .

WD40 = Water Displacement 40. 40 as in perfrected on the 40th try.. The stuff I have is actually self cleaning and doesnt build up with dirt and shit like some chain lubes do.