offroading

Casper

• 2 weeks later...
I got a 904runner 2dr thats down right now with blown headgaskets but I like to beat it up in the woods some.I went out wheelin with the Ohio 4x4 Trailriders a couple of years ago,a really good time.

Originally posted by NOS50:

I got a 904runner 2dr thats down right now with blown headgaskets but I like to beat it up in the woods some.I went out wheelin with the Ohio 4x4 Trailriders a couple of years ago,a really good time.

3.0 V6, right?

Originally posted by NOS50:

Of course a 3.0.I had it fixed once for free at the dealer under the recall at 165k.It now has about 242k on it and I cracked a head.

Sounds like it's time for a V8 swap graemlins/thumb.gif

I have seen a 4Runner with the Lexus 4.0 V8.I have one in the garage(unfortunately its in the wifes LS400).Do you think she would notice if it was gone?I have thought about the 3.4 V6 swap.It uses the same engine mounts and bolts up to my tranny plus the TRD supercharger = about 270hp.

http://www.lextreme.com has a lot of information on the Lexus 4.0, it's a great motor. I didn't realize the 3.4 bolted right up to your truck. That would be a great swap to do, IMO. The supercharger retails for $3,000 but can usually be had for $2,500 if you look around a bit.

There are a few people that have done the swap on an offroad board I frequent.There is a place called Off-Road Solutions that sells a plug in wiring harness for the swap.I tried to buy a wrecked T-100 on E-bay but it didn't sell and the price the bid got up to was a little more than I wanted to pay anyways.(the truck had 196k on it)I would like to buy a whole totaled truck so I could have the computer and everything plus I could sell other parts to keep cost down.

Originally posted by HIgh Risk:

Or talk to the guy with the Tacoma on here, 350 Swap... Probably a lot cheaper/simpler than the Lexus motor?

lol, he has been talking to the guy with the Taco.

A 350 swap is cheap and easy. A lexus V8 swap is pimp. But, in a mud truck, pimp is generally not a consideration.

Right now, I'm looking at swapping a 2.7 out of a 4x4 Taco to replace my 2.4.

To do so, I need;

1. complete engine (minus accessories would be fine)

2. ECU

3. bellhousing

Difficult swap, huh? Wiring harness is all the same, as is motor mounts. I'm not even totally sure that I need a different bellhousing.

Not sure on that one, but its possible that the bellhousings are the same unless they used the R151 series trany for the 2.7's. Its probably still the W59 like yours since it can easily handle the power.

Evan

Originally posted by Tractor:

Not sure on that one, but its possible that the bellhousings are the same unless they used the R151 series trany for the 2.7's. Its probably still the W59 like yours since it can easily handle the power.

Evan

if you are talking to my swap, I talked to a guy on the Taco messageboard that has done some wacky shit with engine swaps in those trucks. He said I DEFINATELY need a bellhousing for a 2.7

I won't do the Lexus swap because I don't want to bury a Lexus motor in mud.I do want to keep it fuel injected thats why I like the 3.4 swap.The Lexus 4.0 is cheap in junkyards cause they say they never sell them because they run so long.