Need some advice.

chicagosfinest

I'm looking to buy another bike here shortly, however the bike is in extremely questionable condition and I am having second thoughts. Thoughts from "this bike is too powerful for me" to "this is gonna be too much work and will take too much time away from riding."

I haven't been riding for long at all. I ride a 93 Katana 600, and am pretty content with the power, however would always be content with more.

I'm looking at what most would consider a project bike or a complete wreck. Which was what I was hoping for, however found out the history of it and now am a bit more cautious. The bike was a race bike down in GA, laid down when the current owner went out in the snow. It's a '98 ZX6R, needs fairings, stator, lights, and complete paint. Really, not that much.. maybe a weekend project.. but the wait for parts would delay that incredibly. The asking price is $1000..

It soon (month or two of riding) would need new tires and a new clip on.

I would also probably sell my Katana for this bike, just because I don't have the space for two bikes, especially one in pieces.

let's see. . . stop riding and bring home a bucket of parts that may turn into a full bike, then spend who knows how much money getting it roadworthy OR keep my perfectly good (maybe slow) bike that I can ride now. . .

If you have an extra grand to throw at a project, I'd still say no. Working on a project bike is less time on the bike you have now. $1000 + all of the stuff it could need = a better bike that's ready to ride.

I wouldn't pay $1000 for it, just like I won't pay a thousand for a car that wasn't road worthy. I was gonna offer around $750 on it.. and wouldn't go much higher. If he doesn't bite no big deal.

I see what your saying though. I'm just trying to think this out before I make a move either way.

If it was a race bike then it has had the shit beat out of it. who knows what else it needs.. is the frame straight? fork seals, race bike - may need new rings and or headgasket.. too many questions.. The fact that it was a race bike is what scares me the most..

If it was a race bike then it has had the shit beat out of it. who knows what else it needs.. is the frame straight? fork seals, race bike - may need new rings and or headgasket.. too many questions.. The fact that it was a race bike is what scares me the most..

True story... Most of the time too if someone crashes their race bike then they will repair it with some cheap fairings cuz it is just their race bike. So since this dude is trying to sell it, its prolly real fucked up... bent frame and or forks maybe :dunno:

Frames straight, the forks are in good condition. internals and gaskets are my main concern. However, the bike does run smoothly. According to the current owner it received new pistons immediately prior to his purchase. The bike was put down on Ice by the current owner, after a full season of riding with out a problem.

When he put it down, he cracked the stator case, bent the clutch handle, foot peg, and smashed the water reservoir. Its runs damn well for how it looks aesthetically. So it's more then a rolling chassis.. but that's about as far as I got, as the stator is bad and the water reservoir is damaged so I couldn't ride it when I looked at it.

Other then the gaskets my next concern lies with the gear box. although the owner said it's in good condition, I don't have immediate knowledge of it's condition.

Other then the gaskets my next concern lies with the gear box. although the owner said it's in good condition, I don't have immediate knowledge of it's condition.

And you wont until you ride it.. it could be close to loosing a tooth or a shift fork if its been a race bike for that long.. if its already had new pistons then its probably about due for some tranny work as well.. not worth the risk in my opinion.