Future Combat Systems

Guest Crankshaft

Guest Crankshaft

<font color ="midnightblue"> Video here.

Full site here.

You need quicktime.

I'm dissapointed that in the year 2014, they predict we will still be using the AH64 Longbow. With a little effort on the part of the defense department, the Commanche would have been a much better vehicle.

One commander, many years ago, said that warfare wasn't true warfare after the invention of the bow and arrow for use in combat. I wonder what he'd say about this.

the apache is such a good work horse though. Its fast, it CAN be quiet, has incredible optics, and can hold a rediculous amount of firepower. I wouldnt be surprised if it stays in the fight for 30yrs. Hell, the Cobra is still used and that was released in the mid to late 70's i think.

Originally posted by Great Googley Moogley:

correct the cobra was used in vietnam as well as the huey which are still both used today.

They use the Huey for only MedEVAC dont they??? Or do they still use it for transport?

Guest Crankshaft
Originally posted by Mowgli:

Manned attack aircraft are on the path to extinction.

This is coming from an ex Navy flyer too, so beleive it: the fighter pilot / attack pilot's days are numbered.

The Comanche's whole reason to exist has also evaporated. Why have a 200million dollar scout aircraft with two highly trained and expensive humans on board to die in it when a 2 million dollar remote/drone can accomplish the exact same task. The Comanche cannot touch the Apache's ordinance delivery payload maxs, and that reality combined with the coming of the drones means the only way the Comanche get commissioned is thru some serious greasing of pockets on capitol hill.

<font color ="midnightblue"> So, being someone who would know, when would you hazard a guess as to when we'll see a complete replacement of human pilots for computer pilots (at least in the attack sector that you've mentioned)? This isn't the same reason we've cut the funding on the JSF, is it?

And what of the B-52? Fucking Carter cancelled our plans to replace it with the B-1, and now we're stuck with a plane from 1948. A very functional plane, no doubt, but still....1948.

It'll be a couple generations. You've got a TON of culture/history/resistence to it in the Navy and Air Force that has to be dismantled first. The pilot world is one of the biggest bastions of raging testosterone, resistant to change.

The planes that tend to survive longest are the ones that prove to be the biggest weapons platforms: aka the B52, the F14, the Apache. If it can carry alot, a vehicle tends to remain in service longer than the vehicles that carry less.

As the weapons themselves continue to get smarter and more autonomous, and there's no reason to beleive they'll get dumber any time soon, the more that range, capacity, and loiter time factor over stealth, manuverability, and speed.

Guest rperry74
Seeker munitions for artillery, very cool! Question, what will they do with all the Apaches once they are de commissioned? Hell where do any of these things go?

Originally posted by TheManWhoSellsParts:

Seeker munitions for artillery, very cool! Question, what will they do with all the Apaches once they are de commissioned? Hell where do any of these things go?

israel.

i fought a mock battle in the mojave about 4 years ago, and a 9 man squad equipped with the landwarrior system took out my whole battery.

best wake up call ever = taking a nap while your buddy is on watch and having a grenade just drop into your position out of nowhere. redface.gifgraemlins/doh.gif

Originally posted by Orion:

israel.

i fought a mock battle in the mojave about 4 years ago, and a 9 man squad equipped with the landwarrior system took out my whole battery.

best wake up call ever = taking a nap while your buddy is on watch and having a grenade just drop into your position out of nowhere. redface.gifgraemlins/doh.gif

Good thing it was a mock battle.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Folkvang:

<font color ="midnightblue"> Video here.

Full site here.

You need quicktime.

I'm dissapointed that in the year 2014, they predict we will still be using the AH64 Longbow. With a little effort on the part of the defense department, the Commanche would have been a much better vehicle.

One commander, many years ago, said that warfare wasn't true warfare after the invention of the bow and arrow for use in combat. I wonder what he'd say about this.

Too much damn money was spent on the commanche. The AH64D is one hell of a helo, I've seen em' in action against real shit. I agree, too much high tech shit lately, when they need to focus more on urban warfare and giving us the M1A's aka M14's to carry again. Also the M9 baretta needs to go. They don't listen though, seeings how I play with all of em' everyday.

Guest Crankshaft
<font color ="midnightblue"> Sounds like the guys back in 'nam complaining about the M16. Truth is, you're just not as important as a $2 billion dollar defense agreement with the makers of your M9. Sorry man. Out of curiosity, if you had a choice, what piece would you pick to replace it?

Originally posted by Eidolon:

<font color ="midnightblue"> Sounds like the guys back in 'nam complaining about the M16. Truth is, you're just not as important as a $2 billion dollar defense agreement with the makers of your M9. Sorry man. Out of curiosity, if you had a choice, what piece would you pick to replace it?

http://www.columbusracing.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=reply;f=5;t=003722;replyto=000020

I "aquired" a glock 19 in Iraq while I was there and it I never had a problem at all. But personally I'd carry a Kimber .45, if not a Sig Sauer .40. Something A LOT bigger than a fucking 9mm, cause in reality, you need to drop quite a few 9mm rounds into a body to make it drop. (once again seen in reality) As far as rifle wise, the 7.62 M14 aka M1A rifle would be my best choice. Semi-auto, accurate, and 173 grain round can put a punishment on walls, bodies, cars, etc.... But I ride in an M2A2 ODSE Bradley, so I have 2 TOW missles, a 25mm cannon, and a 7.62 COAX that'll spit out 850 rounds a minute, so I ain't skurred. We're updating slowly to all this new shit, cause I'm with 4 ID which is part of Force 21, which means we test/recieve all the newest shit. We got a few new goodies, but nothing for me to get a boner over.

Guest Crankshaft
<font color ="midnightblue">No personal experience, but from all the books I've read, M14 is the way to go. 7.62 > 5.56. Period. I remember reading about Delta operatives complaining because they'd have to dump like 9 rounds into a guy to put him down. I also read a story where a corpsman assigned to a force recon squad was given choice access to the weapons locker. Lol, the fool picked out a tommy gun with a hundred drum. He said it mowed down trees like nothing else, but was just too friggin heavy to be worth anything. He then opted for the M1A. You don't get any opportunities like that, do you?