Idle's wayy high, how to lower it?

SuperHawk

Are the SV's FI or carburated? I dont know why a person would set the idle that high. If it wont idle than there is some other problem, and raising the idle is like putting a bandaid on a bulletwound. On all my bikes (Kaw and Honda) the idle adjust was on the left side. Usually it is a thumbscrew or plastic thing you need to turn. Make sure the bike is warmed up, because the idle will change once it is in operating temperature if you lower it cold.

I would also change the oil, ya never know if it was done. Look over the bike when you clean it to check things. I wouldnt doubt that whoever messed up the idle messed up something else also.

Sorry I didnt call ya back man. Busy weekend and I was exhausted last night. I can take a look at it sometime this week. thursday night will prolly be the soonest due to personal matters I need to attend.

The 01 SVs were Carbed... 01 with 800 miles. If it say that much may be time to take the carbs off and clean it.

But it should be reachable without taking the tank off if it is Carbed.. 4500 damn that is almost 1/2 of the bikes RPM.

Yeah, she had the carb's cleaned in 2005, lol, so maybe due again, but it seriously seems like it has cruise control, haha. I can shift and not give it gas and maintain a good speed, but I want to fix it because I sound retarded sitting at a stop sign.

I will be changing the oil, I checked it, it was full and clean, but the lady did say it had never been done.

thanks guys

Do you have the Owners manual??? If so look in it for the idle adjustment. My CBR 900 had a black knob that I could turn to adjust the idle.

My Dad's TL-S I think had an idle adjustment knob on it too. Should be on the left side down around the motor.

you can also look at where the throttle cable meets the engine and find the other adustment cable coming off of that and trace it back. it will most likely point you to the idle adjust. thats how it was on my 250, and it was on the left side, little black knob like everyone else.

There might have been some additional work done to it, that may have been backed out at one point.

It *does* sound like someone was trying to compensate for another problem though. I would take a look at the throttle cable or the carb. It may not have been getting fuel and someone tried to idle it high to compensate.

well now it doesn't want to start, lol.

I'm betting its the carbs as they haven't been cleaned since 2003, even though that may have only been 500 miles ago.

So anyone wanna come over any clean the carbs? food/beer on me? :D

Or just trouble shoot and bs, lol, thanks for the tips guys, I did find the knob/screw on the left side like you all said, but I need it running to play with it.

Matt - 614-595-5536

I wonder if someone left some bad gas in there over the winter..and now your carbs are all gummified :(

Well the lady told me she had her bf drain the gas and put a gallon of new gas in it, and I topped it off on my way home after not even a mile of riding, so it should've mixed I would think, but how hard is it to clean a carb? shit I don't eve know what a carb looks like, lol

Maybe someone close to you on the board can help. Unless you can find a decent shop close by..but I know most shops at this time of year are back logged. If you don't know what a carb looks like, you probably don't wanna tear one down at this particular point in time. :)

well now it doesn't want to start, lol.

I'm betting its the carbs as they haven't been cleaned since 2003, even though that may have only been 500 miles ago.

So anyone wanna come over any clean the carbs? food/beer on me? :D

Or just trouble shoot and bs, lol, thanks for the tips guys, I did find the knob/screw on the left side like you all said, but I need it running to play with it.

Matt - 614-595-5536

If no one offers by Saturday I can shoot over on Saturday and at least troubleshoot. Haven't worked on a bike's carbs yet but I can usually do rather well with troubleshooting things.