Vid Request - Lotus in Europe with Sequential gearbox

vitamincj

I can't remember if it was on this board or not but I used to have a vid of a Lotus Espirit with a sequential gearbox racing at a track somewhere in Europe. The tranny really whined when he got up in speed. He passed a bunch of BMW's, Porche's etc. Anybody have that vid? Its from at least a year ago.

smile.gif Thanks,

CJ

Originally posted by AustinL911:

for curiousity sake, what's a sequential gearbox?

Paddle Shifters?

I guess maybe something more you've heard of: Most new cars have them... push up on the gear shifter to shift to a higher gear and vice versa...

Originally posted by AustinL911:

for curiousity sake, what's a sequential gearbox?

most cars have what's called an h pattern shifter. you can put the car in whatever gear you want. sequential transmissions only shift up and down (like a motorcycle). normally you push the shifter forward to downshift. pull it back to upshift...

paddle shifters are just an add on. typically, the paddles trigger a solenoid which bumps the shifter up and down through the gears...

Originally posted by Jukebox Hero:

I guess maybe something more you've heard of: Most new cars have them... push up on the gear shifter to shift to a higher gear and vice versa...

nearly all of these cars are using automatic transmissions with an electronic override in the shifter. only a handful of cars (ex. ferrari 360 cs) have a true sequential (manual) transmission...

Originally posted by MackZilla:

Most of those bush buttons suck. I believe my friends dad had some sort of Mercedes that would override him and shift before he could push the car too hard...anyone heard of the same problems?

there isn't anything wrong with the car. most of them do that. like i said, it's really just a computer controlled automatic transmission. you have some control, but the computer will usually override you if it doesn't agree with your driving style. cuts down on wear and tear as well as warranty claims...