tranny question

smokin5s

ok,

a buddy of mine's car is acting up and I'm woundering if it's the tranny or flex plate... if he drives normal, his car drives and shifts fine... (it shifts very firm) But if he gets on it, no matter what gear he is in, the car will drive almost like a manual with the clutch going out drives... the engine revs quickly, but the car doesn't really accelerate (my blazer picks up speed faster than his car is at WOT) It has been doing this for about a week or so now and just continually getting worse. I'm thinking that it's the flex plate, but a gentleman over at Tuffy stated taht if the flexplate is going out, it would be making clanking noises or something. What do you guys think?

oh, he had the fluid changed today.

The 'slipping' that feels like a worn clutch sounds like his clutch packs are shot, maybe even a junk torque converter.

How many miles on the trans?

Also, why do you think it's the flexplate? Not much that can go wrong with it. If the conveter bolts were loose, he would hear noises.

90k on the car...

I was thinking flexplate just because I knew that acted as a clutch between the tranny and motor.

I don't think his clutch pack is shot because it does it in every gear as well as it shifts VERY firm as long as it's not at WOT.

My first though is torque converter, since there is just no power being transferred to the wheels, although it could be the clutch packs. Did the guy at Tuffy flush out the converter, and did he mention if the fluid was burnt?

Originally posted by nathan96:

My first though is torque converter, since there is just no power being transferred to the wheels, although it could be the clutch packs. Did the guy at Tuffy flush out the converter, and did he mention if the fluid was burnt?

the fluid deffinately was not burnt... honestly, the fluid looked a little on the thin side when I looked at it last night.

I don't really want to have him shell out 800 dollars for a tq converter unless we know that's what it is... might as well upgrade to a performance one if it has to be replaced right? ;)

Originally posted by Shitaro:

I was thinking flexplate just because I knew that acted as a clutch between the tranny and motor.

No, it does not. At all.

The flexplate is a solid piece of metal. Nothing more. It bolts to the crank, and the torque conv. bolts to it. It's other purpose in life is to have the starter engage it to start the engine.

The auto trans. has clutch packs that, when are worn out, can fell just like a bad clutch.

If the auto is slipping under WOT, and is full of fluid, and has a clean filter... your options are clutch packs, converter, or F'ed up valve body.

"I don't think his clutch pack is shot because it does it in every gear as well as it shifts VERY firm as long as it's not at WOT"...

- it will feel great except at WOT.

You think this will have everything that is needed?

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performSearch&Parameters=Auto+Store%7C%7EREGULAR+PARTS+LOOK+UP%7C%7EAUTOMATIC+TRANSMISSION+REBUILD+KIT

If that link doesn't work, it's the Automatic Tranny rebuild kit from AutoZone.

1997 Camaro Z28 4L60e tranny

[ 15. March 2005, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Shitaro ]