ignition help

Black ITR Guy

i just installed msd everything in my R.

-digital 6al box

-msd wires

-msd blaster coil

-msd distruibuter

so far i love it, everything works great couldnt be happier. but correct me if im wrong....my gap should increase on my plugs - but by how much? i have combed the installation guides and i cant seem to find how much more. any ideas? im sure i read it in there but i can not find where i read it. how much would you increase it.

thanks, Brian S.

the whole idea is to have more spark energy. so in theriory u can leave the spark alone but still be able to burn everything. for boosted vehicles the idea is to have more spark energy so u can run a smaller gap and still burn nice but provent spark blowout.

Guest rperry74
Originally posted by TurboTANK:

the whole idea is to have more spark energy. so in theriory u can leave the spark alone but still be able to burn everything. for boosted vehicles the idea is to have more spark energy so u can run a smaller gap and still burn nice but provent spark blowout.

Actually, the purpose of increasing voltage to the plug is so you can run a bigger gap, and this includes boosted, blown or otherwise. It's like lighting a forest fire, you get there a lot faster with a flame thrower versus a lighter. The problem you have to deal with on "boosted" or high compression engines is cylinder pressure. Higher cylinder pressure with more fuel and air = very dense air. Large gap and high voltage = combustion at very high air density levels. Look at a top fuel engine. They run a magneto because they need the SERIOUS output to keep the plugs lit under that much fuel and boost. Anyway, I think the gap could be as much as .060"

well thanks that answers some questions i had then. i gapped them to .050" for now and im debating on going to .055" (fiances father is really pushing for it to be there now.) But how will i know if its to large of a gap? I know if i look at a plug running to rich its black, so what a about a plug running to much gap. Or is this something i just gonna have to feel with the car? this is something that has been bothering me all weekend.

thanks brian

side note: i finally found what i thought i read and i found it on msd's site, here is the link if anyone wants it. msdignitions.com

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by BLACK ITR GUY:

well thanks that answers some questions i had then. i gapped them to .050" for now and im debating on going to .055" (fiances father is really pushing for it to be there now.) But how will i know if its to large of a gap? I know if i look at a plug running to rich its black, so what a about a plug running to much gap. Or is this something i just gonna have to feel with the car? this is something that has been bothering me all weekend.

thanks brian

side note: i finally found what i thought i read and i found it on msd's site, here is the link if anyone wants it. msdignitions.com

What was your purpose in going w/ all this aftermarket ignition stuff?? Were you having ignition issues, or is the factory stuff not up to snuff perhaps??

I ask because most of that is usually overkill until you start running power adders or very serious N/A stuff on most modern cars. I only upgraded due to running nitrous (and part of that is because of the nitrous controls I get w/ the ignition box). N/A, I'm sure I didn't pick up any HP at all w/ my wires/coil/ignition.

Gap wise, I run .040, but that's because I spray, and most guys spraying LT1's tend to be .035-.040. My old MSD Digital 6+ box did help hide the impact of having some severly worn (.080+ gap) plugs when I first got the car.

There was really no purpose, only that my fiances father thought it would be a great idea and help for my car. He owns an auto parts store and after i bought the type r he went through all his books studing up on it(which is really rare for him to look into anything but old muscle cars). what he learned he explained to me that this car is already being pushed to its limits from the factory and the only thing he can see that he would want to change is the ignition system since its just normal factory stuff that he would find on any old normal integra. So last christmas he got me everything, i paid nothing for it and figured it wouldnt hurt, it could only help.

Now its all on and running and i can say i really dont see a difference in power (i wasnt expecting any so im not disappointed) In reving it seems to be quicker i thought, and when i gas it when going at highway speeds it seems more responsive there also.

Now im just trying to cover my bases and make sure im not gapping to much. I guess im trying to say how much is to much and how will i konw?