problem with 97 Cherokee

smokin5s

I have a friend who has a '97 Cherokee. They are having a problem with getting it to run, they have cleaned the cat, replaced the coil and distributer, traced all the wiring for a missed ground, as well as all the fuses... They just replaced the PCM (that the shop thought was a sure thing for the issue) and they still cannot get it to run. I have not looked at it, but I figured I'd post it on here asking what anyone thought it could be. They said that it's not getting spark... again with some of the stuff this shop has done, I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't even checked for spark.

Also, does anyone know of a shop who does good work that could take a look at this?

[ 25. May 2005, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: ( . Y . ) ]

not sure if it would or not. since you are getting fuel, it know the motor is turning, so the sensor is doing its job, unless there is more than one sensor that tells the computer the engines position. if there is a seprate sensor in the dist that is supsed to give the ignition signal, it could be bad. break out the scope and the wiring diagram, start looking at the signals while it is cranking. see where the signal stops, then you have most likely foind your bad part.

I can't look at it myself because I'm going in for back surgery in a few weeks and can't really stand or lean over for any period of time. I know they are getting frustrated and want their car fixed... anyone know if any good shops that are inexpensive?

have one of them hold a finger over a spark plug wire while someone cranks it. If they jump and whine like a bitch its getting spark. If not then you know where to look.

Evan