F-body headlight clicking.

JaSSon

I took apart the motor assembly and I rotated that notorious plastic gear. The head light now flips up and down, but on the down swing it just keeps turning and clicking. Almost like the motor doesn't know to stop. It stops after a few agonizing seconds. There were several teeth missing on the gear. Is that all it needs? a new gear? Or, is there some sensor that lets the car know the headlight is down? Anyone have these parts laying around? BTW, the car is a 95 firebird.

mine did the same thing when I had it. I was told by LS1tech that it was just the gear. Lucky for me, it was under warranty, so I just let them dick with it. They replaced the whole motor and that fixed it. (Read- NOT CHEAP) So, according to your story, I'm thinking that mine might not have been the gear and might have been the motor itself. Which is bad news for the owner of the F-body, because that motor wasn't cheap from what I remember.

Guest O'henry 37
I had the same issue with mine but it was also under warranty and they replaced both the headlight motors I din't get a chance to talk to the tech. Since they replaced the motors I had no issue with the lights.

Screw warranty and letting them dick with it... find a site that carries the cnc machined brass gears and change it out yourself. its like 30 bux for both and it will never happen again. grab a beer and 45 minutes of time and your set