How hard is it to service ac? to add freon

CJINOHIO03

It's not hard... once you know what you're doing.

But honestly, if you don't know where "the place to add freon" is, or the difference between the high and low sides of the system... you're better off to just go have it serviced by a shop.

You need a guage set to read the operating pressure(s). Just "throwing" a can or two of 134a in probably won't give you satisfactory results. If you have a leak, you are also better off to have the hose, the o-ring, or whichever other part is leaking replaced rather than throwing any kind of stop leak into the system. You will probably damage/gum up the system worse.

Agreed, those one pound cans of freon will become a grenade if you hook it to the high side with the system running.

Being a 97 it could be 134a or R-12. If it's R-12 you can't add 134a to the system as the working pressures are different and it will NOT cool and will most likely freeze up from the 134a not being at the correct pressure (which is higher during operation on both the low side and the high side).

To do a conversion, the system HAS to be evacuated completely with a vacuum pump as well to boil the little bit of R-12 that becomes entrapped in the oil. Failure to do so will lock your compressor up and cause you more grief.

I do have the correct tools to do a conversion but if you have a leaky oring or a bad hose, the increased operating pressures will make the leak worse, so having the system leak tested and gotten up to snuff before charging it is a pretty good idea.

did you notice that he is going to pick up one of those magical stop leak kits. first off cj your a/c system needs vacumed it is full of air and at least one of the seals are bad or it would not have leaked out the freon that use to be in it. see i checked that before the old motor was pulled and your a/c system was empty. that is why i pulled the line loose from the compresser when i swaped the motor much easer that way, that is why your system is full of air and moisture.

hey i need to know if you want the parts off your new motor if not they are gone friday. and i left the knee panel off so you could see the hack job alarm install that was done on your car get it removed or replaced before it fucks up again or completly ruens the vats module

Yeah I will let u know when I can come over for the parts Rolla. Well I didnt know what was wrong with the ac that is why I asked here. It worked fine previously so it was kinda of a surprise when you said there was no freon in it. The car did sit for a few months before the engine swap though. CJ

a few months you told me that it sat for nearly a year! being that there is positive pressure (and constant)on a fully charged system it does not take very much for a leak to start, then add 8years to that and the time that the car sat without the system being used ( operating the a/c helps prevent leaks due to keeping the seals and o rings lubed) and its a wonder there was not a problem sooner. hell i have done a/c repairs on cars that are barely out of warrany. there is a saying that i was told when i was learning about hvac, the more connections or fittings you have in a system the more possibilitys for leaks. and automobiles have quite a few connections

so i guess i was wrong. how about this you tell me what kind of money you have involved in your a/c repair and i will refund you the money that it costs you. since i am sure that you think that i am the reason that you dont have a charge on the a/c. and the reason that your alarm has issues,( the vacume line that was broke under the hood i may/may not have broke) so i will pay for your a/c charge. give me a recipt and i will pay for it.

and by the way i also have a ase cert for a/c its a open book test i also have a type 1 cert for refrigeration. i also recently let my machine shop cly. head ase cert laps. ase is nothing more than a piece of paper. it has nothing to do with your actual working experence. (i am not saying anything bad about you camaroaj it is just a general comment, hey are you aj that worked at the advance auto in reynoldsburg. if so this is rolla from the old team auto service)

yeah i am the AJ that worked there, ASE isn't open book test, the last 4 i took wern't anyways, the only reason i take them is the area service manager for GM gets on my case about them, that and GM traning. i have been a tech for 4 or 5 years at GM dealerships so i do have alot of skills behind me and i'm not taking anything seriously, i mean this is the internet. but out of the 4 test i have taken i did pass all 4 witch are electrical, engine performance, steering and suspension, heating and a/c. they may just be a piece of paper but i have a better chance of getting a job at a shop than someone with out them or less of them than i do.

Originally posted by CJINOHIO03:

No rolla the car sat for a few months not a year. I will be dwon to get the parts Friday.

CamaroAJ Whats your contact info? CJ

Funny man you were talking to me a LONG time ago about that motor job, Matter of a fact for the people on the board's referance it was back when I had the "Any motor swaped for 295" add in my sig so that was al least 6 months ago

aj you miss understood what i said i did not mean that all ase tests are open book just a/c or at least the first 5 years they were open book. i do understand that ase certs will get the door open for you faster and will also put you ahead of those that dont have them. i would say from experence that you factory training is worth more than anything. sincce you have taken the tests you would know that the test does not really test you on hod to repair the problem but more on how they want you to answer the question, they are more like state or goverment tests. my shop forman helped prepair me for how the test would be worded and the types of questions they would ask.

oh Matt Smith told me to tell you hi