Metal plate between flexplate and crank...

nurkvinny

I ran across something tonight I have never seen. I am hoping someone on here knows what the Hell it is.

I pulled a 383 out of a car tonight, and between the rear of the crank and the flexplate, there is an 'extra' piece of about 1/8" thick metal. This piece is not symetrical(sp). It is held in with the flexplate-to-crank bolts, and extends out far enough that it covered one of the converter bolts, but not near long enough to reach the other 2.

The ONLY thing I can even imagine this piece is for is balancing of the assembly, but I thought that to balance a flexplate, small weights were welded onto it. BTW, this is a SFI approved, gold-colored plate and the car has a 700r4.

SO, any ideas? smile.gif

Originally posted by Tinman:

It is to properly balance the 400 crankshaft. They are made so you don't half to buy a new flexplate when stroking an internaly balanced sbc. You will also notice the harmonic balancer also has more weight on one side.

I was hoping you would reply b/c if I remember correctly, you built this engine. It's out of an 88 Formula that the guy in Johnstown owned smile.gif

After researching this online, I found it is common on the 383's. This engine has a 'StreetDamper' harmonic balancer and either a B&M or TCI flexplate.

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by NurkVinny:

I was hoping you would reply b/c if I remember correctly, you built this engine. It's out of an 88 Formula that the guy in Johnstown owned smile.gif

After researching this online, I found it is common on the 383's. This engine has a 'StreetDamper' harmonic balancer and either a B&M or TCI flexplate.

Thanks guys.

Well I didn't build the motor, but I was involved in alot of the car's build up. I figured you were talking about Tom's formula.

What are you putting the 383 in?

Originally posted by Tinman:

It is to properly balance the 400 crankshaft. They are made so you don't half to buy a new flexplate when stroking an internaly balanced sbc. You will also notice the harmonic balancer also has more weight on one side.

+1, i had one on my 383... smile.gif