no spark 1989 5.0

thorne

I tried to crank it over for the first time tonight. No spark. :\ and the fuel pump is not powering up. But that i think is due to safety switches . Anyone idea why its going on. Or wanna swap all my EFI stuff for a carb smile.gif

Hmmm, I ain't a Ford guy so I will just give you what I know.

First, check connections at the ingition module and coil.

Second, and I ain't sure if a Ford will do this or not but many cars do. Pull the coil wire, have someone look for spark while you turn on and off the ignition, you should see something.

Third, if first two are ok, check the resistance of the pickup, not knowing Fords I hve no clue what it should be, but I know it should have something under 5000 ohms. If there is no resistance, it's open and if it's 0 ohms it's shorted.

If all that checks out, verify that the rotor is turning by pulling off the distributor cap and having someone crank the motor. It should be turning of course.

While I have never seen a bad coil, it can be checked with an ohm meter as well. THe primary side should be a very low reading, almost a short, the secondary should be much higher, be should NOT show open.

I hope this helps.

Guest mudbutt
just had a no spark issue in my stepdads ford van, turned out to be the ignition module was bad. If the pump isnt working either, it could possibly be another electrical problem. Check all fuses and grounds. It is a long shot but we had a 95 with a fried ecu, no spark and the fuel pump wasnt pumping(no pressure at gauge).

i just pretty much did the same things. you did a swap for a 3.8 efi to 5.0 efi.

i did carb to efi.

most likely ur EEC relay isn't getting a turn on signal from ur coil, run an ignition hot wire to the red wire with green stripe. this relay is next to the computer.

this is because the computer harness isn't plugged into body harness on this swap.

check the coil with a test light with the key on.

probally the same problem with ur pump. i ran a hot wire back to the pump manually for power.