TH400 rebuild

Guest 72novaSS

Guest 72novaSS
does anyone know who does good work on trannys? i tore up the casing and a couple of the drums in the turbo 400 that was in my car and my old trans guy doesn't deal with anything but powerglides now. luckily i have a spare th400 with a good casing and the drums i need. i just need the valvebody,trans brake, and all the guts put into the spare. give me a name and # if you know someone

Yeah, take it to a pro. It you scattered the other one that bad, you have metal in the valve body that will need cleaned out. Also were the old drums stock or HD aftermarket. Running a brake and I figure a manual valve body it puts a hell of a strain on a tranny. Been through this with the turbo 350's more times than I care to count.

Curious, I figure it either broke while the brake was applied or something happened and you turned on the brake going down the track? Am I right on either count or was it something else.

Guest 72novaSS
this is to desperado, actually it broke when i was driving it on the street. i got on it and when i shifted from 1st to 2nd it acted like it wanted to slow down like i was on the brakes then when i put it in 3rd it i could really tell something was hanging up. i thought it was a bad rear caliper which one of them happened to be bad and i got a new one and got the car back together and that's when the tranny gave out. but i found a guy where i live and he said that the way it broke looked as if someone put it together wrong and the torque was too much for it which is pretty had to believe since th400 are pretty damn solid.

you got the second gear bearing race. similar to the common failure in the 350. That or you lost a retainer clip on a band. But either way, if it was not burnt and you just wanteding valve body and other parts moved I would be happy to. But a littlew dirt goes a long way to fucking up a tranny. And I don't want to be the one to leave dirt in it and have it strand you 2 months from now.