4.3L Chevy V6 - runs on 2 cylinders

zeitgeist57

...and not well at that. :mad::mad::mad:

REPLACED: plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, HEI coil.

Set valve lash and drove it for a week. Ran really well, and then got progressively worse. During a t-stormy night last week, it seemed to only run on two cylinders. I went away for the weekend, and today when I tried to start it up it was only running on cyls #1 then #6 and nothing else. I knew this because the xhaust manifold is wicked hot on #1 and #6.

I know the firing order is 1-6-5-4-3-2, with #1 being at the drivers side front and #2 being passengers side front, but could something be wrong with the distributor? carburetor? (It runs REALLY rich, even when it ran well!) Timing? Should there be something else in the HEI distributor I need to replace?

The vehicle is a 1986 Chevy C10 fullsize pickup. It's got VOrtec heads and a ROchester Quadrajet (rebuilt last year by Dave). Thanks! smile.gif

The truck never ran right (always rough at startup and bogged under acceleration). I've been good at plugging vacuum leaks. Now it barely runs and all other plugs (other four) are black and very sooty (NOT wet) after only 50 miles.

Carbs need to be adjusted a little everytime you start them if your going to run at optimal performance everytime. EFI and TBI does this for you. My Yota has a 350 with a qjet and the thing actually has better throttle response than fuel injected engines. It does run pretty rough on a cold start up, but I don't have the choke hooked up because I haven't gotten around to it.

If you say all this started after the t-storm I'd take the dist cap off and make sure you don't just have water in it. Especially if you opened the hood with water on it it would have dumped right onto the distributor.

Evan