Wierd electrical problem.

Guest visualpoet

Guest visualpoet

My wife has a 92 Corolla DX, 4afe, 5 speed. Yesterday her brake and baterry lights started coming on at the same time. My first thought was low voltage, so I checked the connections at the battery and alternator. Everything was tight and clean, but there is a ground from the alternator harness to the block that had come off. (stupid click on connection, it slips over a cyindrical t fitting). I popped it back on and that seemed to fix it for about three blocks. they don't seem to come on under any specific condition, sometimes when she's driving, sometimes at idle. Nothing else seems wrong with it, she drove from Olentangy and Third up 315 to 270, down Cleveland Avenue to Morse and back up to Cleveland and 161 with her headlights and stereo running and didn't have any dimming issues. (it was at 12:30 am, so she'd have noticed.) I can't find anything else loose or screwy looking. The alternator is less than three months old, the battery is less than a year. All her other warning lights work fine, but they don't light up with these two. (they do come on with the engine off and the key in the on position like they should.)

Any ideas?? It's killing me not to know. The only thing I could think was the alternator diodes or something took some damage from the ground being off, but I hit it with my meter and it's pumping out 13.8 volts.

did you check the brake fluid level? It could be a warning that the brake fluid is low. My wifes `94 corolla does that, but the battery light doesn't come on. It could be that toyota decided to make a double idiot light out of it. It could also be low brake fluid and when the sensor is tripped it shorts the alternator charge signal to ground. When her light comes on its totally intermittent to so don't think low fluid means the light is always on.

Evan

Guest visualpoet
Of course I checked it! And taught her how to check it also (See honey, you look at it. If the fluid is between these lines it's okay!) But I've seen guys miss more obvous things, so no offense. I'm thinking along the lines of Dave, probably a bad ground connection The fitting is a little POS, so I think I'll try replacing it and ground it down with something more secure.

Guest visualpoet
Shit, still no luck. went all over the car today, even had the alternator tested. nothing. When the lights on, it's putting out 13.96 volts and 66 amps. Damn POS.