Tire question

Guest stvbreal

Guest stvbreal

I am looking for some decent all season high performance tires. I found a few and the Kumho ECSTA ASX is the one I am leaning towards.

The size is 245/45R-17 with W speed rating. My question is what's the difference in ZR and R?

245/45ZR-17 W rating

245/45R-17 W rating

What's the difference? Both support max 168mph.

There is no Kumho Ecsta ASX in ZR or R. They are all W rated. R-rated tires are race compound and will need to be heated before they reach maximum grip. ZR is a speed rating of 149+mph. The lower the treadwear number, the more grippy the tire. But along with that comes faster tire wear.

Guest wigsite
The "R" in a tire size indicates it is a radial tire. The other letter as you already know is the speed rating which indicates the maximum prolonged top speed the tire can handle.

Originally posted by Coldblue1999:

get the bfg kdws in the z rated, they are the bomb! i have had them on 2 mustangs and there wet traction is just as good as the dry. oh, kdws stands for killer dry wet snow!

Or just BFG KDW's (Dry/Wet traction), if you dont need the snow traction. IMO KDW's have a better tread pattern, and hook better on dry road.

Tom

Guest stvbreal
Just got the Kumhos. So far I'm impressed. Ride is much smoother. Just what I am looking for since I will be driving to Denver in a few weeks. My folks live on a ranch so dirt roads are a factor. These tires should do the trick.