cams

Guest FBody Addict

Guest FBody Addict
is it cool to put in a cam from a 350 into a 305 (chevy sb)and will it effect the computer controls at all and is there any danger of the valves hitting the pistons?

need more info. what is the cam out of? your 305 is a roller motor you can use a non roller cam but you have to take out the spacers and change the lifters. your better of if your going to replace the cam buying one made for a computer controlled 305 or giving the cam specs to a tuner and getting a new prom burned

hth

Guest FBody Addict
dunno what it is out of, guy said he had one he would sell me, i PMed him asking what it was out of, i have hydraulic lifters, his probably has hydraulic lifters, but ill get back to you when i find out

EDIT - I think 87 was the first year for the roller cam.

That's a tiny cam... you should find out what your factory cam specs are; your factory one MAY be better. It's called an LG4 camshaft. I think LG4 is a dirty word for the IROC croud.

Guest FBody Addict

why would LG4 be a dirty word for the iroc crowd

i dont run an iroc so why would i care

will a larger cam increase gas milage or decrease it?

i know i wont get as much vacuum with a larger cam

but isnt (.383''/.401'') and a 112° lobe separation probably a larger cam since it would be going into a 305?

find the cam specs for your year car an Iroc and a T/A are the same car with different sheetmetal the share engines transmissons rear ends EVERYTHING is the same.

a bigger cam will give you les manifold vacum at idle depending on how big you go you may need a custom chip to keep from throwing a low vacum code and running pig rich at idle.

a bigger cam may notaffect gas mileage at all or it may decrease it slightly depends on amount of overlap and your driving habits.

86 IROC-Z Trans Am trans A4 engine code LB9 V8 9.5:1 5.0 (305) hp 190@4000 tq 285@2800 TPI

thats what your working with in 1986 all v-8's came with a roller cams I would stick with a roller cam you might try to find one out of a 91 or 92 350 tpi car or just get a compu pro cam from jegs

LG4 is a dirty word because that cam DECREASED the power by about 20hp. You should care because you are running the EXACT same engine as an IROC.

Just an attempt at clearing your confusion up:

Lifters can be solid or hydraulic. This describes whether the lifter 'pumps up' with oil, or is solid.

Lifters can be flat tappet or roller. This describes whether the surface riding on the cam is flat, or has a roller.

If your 86 came with a roller cam, you have hydraulic lifters with rollers hitting the cam instead of a flat surface.

^^^ my last attempt.

Guest FBody Addict

i have hydraulic lifters/cam

i knew the iroc was the same car, i just wasnt sure if they were a selective crowd that thought it wasnt fair to use that cam or something

Here is some good advice: saving a few bucks on a cam that probably isn't the best choice for that motor is just plain.....stupid.

Think about these several things:

- Your valve springs are probably pretty old, good chance they are the originals. Even if the lift on the new cam is within specs of those springs, that doesn't mean much on a worn out set of valve springs. So you'll have to replace those.

- Gaskets; you'll need new intake manifold gaskets, new front cover gasket, new water pump gaskets....don't forget those. But more importantly, you'll need a new timing set, as your old one is probably shot to shit. Oil and coolant too, of course.

- Lifters: I'm positive you have hydro lifters, but probably aren't rollers. I've only personally worked w/ rollers, but I believe you aren't supposed to/probably shouldn't run used flat tappet lifters on a different cam, as they "wear-in" to the cam they are originally installed on. Add that to the cost.

- Any cam worth the labor of installing (aka one that makes any sort of real gain) is going to require reprogramming. You might get away with not doing it, but you'll be doing nothing but leaving power on the table/less driveability/worse gas mileage.

My point?? The few bucks you save on getting a used cam that probably isn't the best choice for your motor really isn't saving much at all, since there will be a number of other associated costs (and I was excluding you finding other problems, like bent pushrods and the like).

Then I've left out the biggest part of all.....you are modding a 305. You'd be far better off saving money up and droping a number of different motors into that car (SBC, BBC, LT1, LS1, etc.). The "being different" thing w/ the 305 has been done again and again.....and there are too many modded 305's getting beaten by far less modded other motors of the same vintage.

Guest FBody Addict

water pump seals are cheap, got a new timing set (cam gear was damn near a bare wheel) of course did the front cover gasket when i did the gears, wanna do the springs, wanna do all major gaskets (heads, intake, oil pan) was wondering if it would be too much work to bore it out to a 350

was gonna switch lifters with cam, any idiot knows that

Originally posted by wickedpyroclown:

was wondering if it would be too much work to bore it out to a 350

You can't bore it out to a 350. You'd be insane to start spending money on machine work vs. just buying a 350. 350's are a dime a dozen and can be had CHEAP. Remember, a 350 is THE cheapest motor out there to build up.

Originally posted by wickedpyroclown:

was wondering if it would be too much work to bore it out to a 350

was gonna switch lifters with cam, any idiot knows that

Even us IDIOTS are shaking our heads at your "bore it out" to a 350 comment. This shows an overall misunderstanding of everything small block related.

Go learn A LOT more about small blocks before you ever consider building one by yourself.

And for the seventh time, we know you have hydraulic lifters. You have gotten a lot of good advice in this thread, and you've mocked most of it. Where exactly are you "studying for this stuff?"

Guest FBody Addict

i dont mean to mock you, im just getting confused cause i knew i had hydraulic liters/cam thats been established

i know that i'd need a different crank, and i thought that the cylinder bore was not a whole lot larger for a 350 than a 305, and i wouldn't be spending alot on machining since i know a guy who does this stuff out of his garage and he's a freind of my dads

i wanna stay with fuel injection and wanna keep the TPI style i just dont wanna run a different harness

would it be possible to find a 350 short block and heads and put my existing intake on it and find the computer to a 350 TPI and switch that, or just reprogram mine

i am on a budget, and i was trying to save money

i have not yet studied engine building

i am studying auto tech at columbus state, but they do not have an engine building class that is for high performance pourposes, and i was gonna get the degree and study high perfomance somewhere else