mustang heater core

recklessOP

heater core is leaking...

thankfully, ford seems to have sealed the case that holds it against the firewall and included a drain hole (so i am told). it's leaking through the vent onto the headers. i bypassed the heater in the mean time so i can drive the car...

i'm going to pick up a new heater core this week and hopefully install it this weekend. anything i should know about? i do have a shop manual for the car...

it's a 2002 GT...

TIA

Im getting ready to do mine in my 90 GT tonite. I heard that if you shorten the 2 heater core bolts coming through the firewall you can just slide it under the dash. The bolts stick out through the firewall almost 2 inches. But I don't know I was just told this last night. I'll post later when I get it done.

yikes, i guess they are weak...

Originally posted by 70rsz28:

I heard that if you shorten the 2 heater core bolts coming through the firewall you can just slide it under the dash. The bolts stick out through the firewall almost 2 inches. But I don't know I was just told this last night. I'll post later when I get it done.

i'll definitely check that out when i tear into mine. thanks... smile.gif

anyone have a good source for replacements? best price i've found is ~$56...

If yours is a 2002, shouldn't it still be under warranty (assuming you have less than 36k on the clock)?

I've never messed with one on a Mustang before. On my car, they tend to get plugged up easily (the heater core acts like a trap for ALL sediments in the cooling system). The first time I cleaned it, I pulled it; very easy, pulled off the glove box and cover to the core, and it came right out. Maybe you will be just as lucky w/ yours.