Anyone know how to rebuild lawnmower engines? Think I ruined the rings in my dads?

Trouble Maker

This is a John Deer self propelled lawn mower using a 6.5HP Brigs & Stratton motor. Oil is separate from the gas.

Well it all started off pretty simple. The belt for the self-propelling portion of the lawnmower broke. I went and got a new belt and put it on. When I put it on I cranked the blade to get it all of the way on because I couldn't get enough slack in the spring of the the self-propelled 'gear box' to get it on all of the way. When I did that some fluid came out of the thing (it was upside down at this time). I had previously drained it of fuel by flipping it upside down and holding it above the gas can (couldn't find a hose to siphon). Because of this I was kind of confused but figured it was just something weird that happened.

After that I tried to start the thing and it would crank but not start. Tried a few more times and it kind of seized up, couldn't crank anymore. Took the air filter off and it had oil on it?? I tried to find some starting fluid, which I couldn't find so I decided to take the plug out and see what it looked like, covered in oil. I now think to myself, that fluid that came out earlier was oil. I cranked it over a few times with the plug out and a paper towel over the spark plug hole to see how much oil came out. I flipped the paper towel over a few times until I saw no more fluid coming out. Put it back in and tried to crank again, nothing and it seized up again after a few cranks, only to sort of depressurize itself after half a minute or so.

I went to the auto-parts store today and got a new spark plug and starting fluid. I forgot the old spark plug so the guy at the counter guessed as best he could but I still got the wrong one. I then came back and tried to use starting fluid to start it.

I can start it with starting fluid but it smokes ALOT (looks and smells like oil). It starts to die and the smoke goes away for a split second, then it dies all of the way. I can get it to start like this all day long (tried three times) then it just dies.

Can anyone guess as to what I did? I believe at any rate the motor is bad now so I will need to be getting it rebuilt. Anyone around here know how to rebuild lawn mower motors?

Yeah, it sounds like I did something retarded. Us dumb people have to make mistakes every once in a while or people might start to get us counfsed with the smart ones. tongue.gif

TIA, sorry it was long, trying to be as descriptive as possible. Maybe this could be my very first engine rebuilding experience! :D

I can't imagine you actually damaging it by the description of your repairs. Does it run? You didn't actually say it starts and runs. It may need cleaned out so I'd keep starting it. My mower does some strange stuff sometimes. Like just won't start at all no matter what. Then you go out the next day and it starts on the first pull. Probably some type of flooded condition, but I know how to start a flooded mower and it don't work.

Evan

Originally posted by Neo:

I can start it with starting fluid but it smokes ALOT (looks and smells like oil). It starts to die and the smoke goes away for a split second, then it dies all of the way. I can get it to start like this all day long (tried three times) then it just dies.

This is how it acts as of now.

Originally posted by Tractor:

I can't imagine you actually damaging it by the description of your repairs. Does it run? You didn't actually say it starts and runs. It may need cleaned out so I'd keep starting it. My mower does some strange stuff sometimes. Like just won't start at all no matter what. Then you go out the next day and it starts on the first pull. Probably some type of flooded condition, but I know how to start a flooded mower and it don't work.

Evan

I tried a few times but didn't want to keep trying thinking it might damage it more than it allready may have.

Could the carb have oil in it?

Why did the oil come out in the first place?

Whelp, it runs now. I kept it running for a minute or two with starter fluid and burnt off enough oil/warmed it up enough for it to run on it's own. Ran it for another minute or two and all of the smoke is gone.

Just started it up a second time and it runs great.

Anyone know where to get an air filter for this thing, preferable a place with decent prices (I could see 'lawn mower' places overcharging for things like this)? The filter has oil in it now so I'd like to replace it.

I'm assuming the spark plug is fine now.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Tractor:

Any hardware store will carry lawnmower filters. the autoparts stores should also carry them. Theres always the dealers too.

Evan

Yup, picked up a filter and the right plug at Home Depot. Thanks for the advice everyone. It works great now. smile.gif