clutch/tranny woes

Guest Ranger_Man

Guest Ranger_Man

recently replaced all the leaky oil seals on my engine and do to this i pulled it as i hate cramped spaces. i figured that while it was out i would replace the clutch as well. i used an act street/strip. the install went smooth and everything was bolted back up. we put the engine back in, hooked everything up and got it running again.

now the problem is that the clutch. i started with a pedal that dropped to the floor. turns out that somehow we took off one of the connectors to the slave cyl. underneath the car. ok so we fix that and then proceed to bleed the clutch. we first bled at the front valve and then the rear one. after a few bleeds the clutch pedal was back but with hardly any feel and the clutch also was not engaging. so we bled some more... about 30 minutes worth. the clutch pedal still has virtually no feel and the clutch is still not working right. i can start it up and coax it into gear and the rear tires do spin so i know the clutch is working. is it possible to still have a huge air bubble somewhere in the system that didnt get bled off after 30 minutes? or is there something possibly worse going on?

progressed to this:

the clutch works but pedal feel is retarded. the clutch disengages about a mm off of the floor when i let the pedal out. it engages when the pedal is about 3mm off of the floor. we were still able to drive it like this for a while...

while stopped at wendy's mike went to put it back into gear and it would not go in. i tried and it would not go in. luckily it was in neutral and we pushed it into a parking spot. we both fiddled around with it until i got in and rammed it into reverse. so i nursed the car home in third.

now a few questions-

is it possible that the master cylinder is messed up and it got more messed up as i used it since it is trying to push a much stiffer pressure plate? i know its not the slave as i replaced it tonight.

is it possible that my tranny is shot? the tranny has made a humming noise for about 6 months now when in neutral for a long time.

Guest Ranger_Man
i put a hose on the bleeder valve and put the hose in fluid and no air came out. fyi im on the verge of flipping the car over and lighting it on fire as working on it the entire weekend has tired me out to no end.

Guest Ranger_Man
i just remembered that i still have the stock to bearing in there as the new one looked really different and i was worried that it would explode my car speed racer style. so that is most likely my problem. however the car will still sit there for the next couple of days so it can think about what it has done wrong. god i hate pulling trannys while they are in the car...

been there but what is weard is the clutch system has a preload or pressure on it unlike the brake system which is zero pressure when the brakes are released. but you may be right about the throw out bearing. the design may be different or it is worn out

you could try removing the clutch damper loop.it's on the passenger side framerail.makes the system a ton easier to bleed.the line that runs to the damper can be bent fairly easy to the rubber line(or you could take the opportunity to get a SS clutch line at this time). i did the above on mine with no ill effects.actually made the clutch feel a little better.

i would go with master cyl,TObearing wouldn't cause it to not go in gear.it would be be really whiney or crunchy if it's real bad.you did mention though that you used the OEM TObearing.maybe the one that came with the clutch is a different thickness to compensate for a different pressure plate.like the springs are on a different plane relative to the clutchfork.you may be able to make the difference up with a pedal adjustment,but i would suggest a little more research on the TO bearing issue.

Guest Ranger_Man
since it is far easier im going to first replace the master cylinder and failing that it looks like i will be pulling the tranny to put in the act TO bearing. im praying to black jesus that it is the master cylinder.

i don't blame you,s14 trannies are a pain if you don't have a lift.maybe it would help you troubleshooting if you could measure the amount of travel there is on the release fork and compare that to another S14.

Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by BiG BeN:

i don't blame you,s14 trannies are a pain if you don't have a lift.maybe it would help you troubleshooting if you could measure the amount of travel there is on the release fork and compare that to another S14.

i have about 1/2" to 3/4" travel, which from what im gathering is not enough.

Guest lustful
when i put my clutch in it give me the same woes... turned out to be my slave cylinder though. i kept it compressed when i took the tranny out, however it came undone and then well junkified. so when i went to bleed it out.. all seemed fine and well except i couldn't get any pedal pressure. dolt... so i got a new slave and took out that POS damper and works like a charm.