Oil allll over spark plug

Guest infamous me 235

Guest infamous me 235

1991 Nissan 240sx

We just took it to Westerville Auto. on westerville road, had the oil changed, yadda yadda.

I pulled the plug wires and on the one all the way opn the right, if you're looking at "Nissan Twin Cam" it'd be on the right. Theres oil all over the thing that goes over the spark plug and theres oil on the spark plug itslef. When you pull it out it sounds like there is a puddle or something down there.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Thanks,

Cody

Guest infamous me 235

Should I take it back to Westerville Auto and complain that it did that after they got done with it? Or just get someone to fix it?

Is it still driveable?

Guest powers
Originally posted by Veni Vidi Vici:

Should I take it back to Westerville Auto and complain that it did that after they got done with it? Or just get someone to fix it?

Is it still driveable?

no

I'm sure it was like that well before the ever saw it. Just get it fixed. This is a very common problem on any car with this head design.

Guest infamous me 235

ordered one tonight, it'll be here tomorrow. My g/f's dad and I will do it tomorrow afternoon when he's done at work. smile.gif

Thanks for all the help guys.

Guest infamous me 235
Originally posted by Ricochet:

Liquid gasket stuff? That's what I used on my engine's valve cover before swapping it in..

lol, i searched for it, and was reading your post about your g/f's cavy or soemthing.

Guest powers
should just be a thick(inner & outer) rubber gasket, and use of gasket maker is not advised on this one. Just make sure not to tighten it down to much as that will cause the new one break down fast then it will just start leaking again. I would use about 12-20lbs of tq on the valve cover bolts. start in the middle working your way out in a criss cross pattern.

Guest infamous me 235
Originally posted by BIG PAPA:

should just be a thick rubber gasket, and use of gasket maker is not advised on this one. Just make sure not to tighten it down to much as that will cause the new one break down fast then it will just start leaking again. I would use about 12-20lbs of tq on the valve cover bolts. start in the middle working your way out in a criss cross pattern.

Thank you for the help.

Guest Ponyfreak
ordered one tonight, it'll be here tomorrow. My g/f's dad and I will do it tomorrow afternoon when he's done at work
Maybe I should get a girlfriend so her dad can work on my car....

Could the guy doing the oil change have filled your crankcase up through the sparkplug hole?!? :confused:;)

I am joking. I'm also with the other +1's when I say that it;s the valve cover gasket. Specifically, the O-ring around that spark plug hole in the valve cover. Easy fix. Just be sure to torque the valve cover bolts back evenly to prevent another leak!

Guest Ranger_Man

make sure that you got both the inner and outer.

tightening order for valve cover is as follows:

..4..1(12)..11

you start and end with the middle bolt.

*before you tighten it all down make sure that the inner seal has not moved*. it has a tendency to want to move around when you are putting the valve cover back on. my fsm does not give torque specs for the valve cover so just put it hand tight. there is no need to crank down on it.

Guest infamous me 235
Originally posted by Beer Guy:

tightening order for valve cover is as follows:

..4..1(12)..11

you start and end with the middle bolt.

i must be a n00B, but i don't really understand what you mean by that??

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by Veni Vidi Vici:

i must be a n00B, but i don't really understand what you mean by that??

The bolts are referenced by number. With 1 in a corner (upper left?) and counting across the head (ie two would be on the lower left) moving to the right. You tighten the bolts in the middle, then work evenly from the center out.

Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by Rotary Jihad:

The bolts are referenced by number. With 1 in a corner (upper left?) and counting across the head (ie two would be on the lower left) moving to the right. You tighten the bolts in the middle, then work evenly from the center out.

absolutely correct. tighten the bolts down in numerical order.