Replacing a tire?

Guest Computerguy5

Guest Computerguy5

Hey guys,

I lost a tire last night and, having never had to replace a flat tire before, am unsure if it's safe to replace just one tire. The tires on my car have good tread all around, but are about 20,000 miles old (they're something like 60,000 mile tires, and I believe it). Would I need to get the same brand? Any advice?

Thanks

Guest Computerguy5

I will definitely get the same size, speed, and load rating (or better). I don't think the same tire model is made anymore, but I can get the same brand and make sure that it's an all season tire (as are the rest).

I appreciate the help!

definately size matters, but nothing else does. If its one of the driving tires (meaning one that an axle goes into) you should probably move one of the older tires to that location and replace one that does not have an axle going into it. The reason being that the slight difference in size from wear or brand differences could result in increased stress on the driveline.

Evan

Check tread depth. Normal depth for a street tire is about 11/32 of an inch. As long as the tread on the new tire isn't more than about 4/32 of an inch greater, you should be fine. If it is, you should probably buy two tires. The reasoning behind this is that the tread depth can make a difference in how the vehicle drives. A big discrepancy can cause a pull even if the alignment is dead on. Also, according to a magazine article I read (I think it was Motortrend) Michelin engineers recommend putting the newest tires on the back of the vehicle regardless of which wheels are the drive wheels. This has something to do with the handling dynamics of a vehicle. So if you end up buying 2, put them on the rear.

Guest Computerguy5
Interesting. I only bought one (I even managed to find the exact same model et al). I'll look at the tread disrcrepancy tonight and move it to the rear (it's a fwd vehicle).