My Corolla stalled out.

Guest visualpoet

Guest visualpoet

Twice in the past month, I've been sitting at a light, and my 91 Corolla (5afe) just died. It's had new plugs, wires, distributor cap and button in the last 15k miles, an oil change in the last 3k, the motor has about 60k on it total. I can't find any loose connections, and they've all got anti-corrosion goop in them. My grounds are all clean and tight, no vacuum leaks anywhere. She didn't stutter, spit or anything; just running one second, not running the next. She starts back up right away. Not quite as quick as a normal start, but no more than three seconds of cranking both times. She runs fine other than that. Hell, she runs great other than that.

I don't know where else to look. Anybody have any ideas? It's not a big deal, but it is a little embarrasing, and I'd like to fix it if I can.

battery alternator is not a bad idea. You didn't mention that you've checked the fuel pressure. I can't imagine a problem with on around 60K on it though. Mine's a 94 7A2E with 190K on it and no parts other than a starter contact for 11 cents.

It could be that you have a messed up fuel filter maybe by putting dirt in the tank from a gas can?

Evan

Guest visualpoet

Battery and alternator are both just under 14 volts, (yes, I tested it running and not running)

Connections are as tight as I can get them without tearing up the soft parts, also clean connections and anti-corrosion treated.

Fuel pressure seems like I'd have some sputtering or other problems with it. It just dies cold. Almost like I turned the key off, except the accessories are all sitill working. If it ran any smoother I wouldn't have known it had died at all until I tried to roll out.

In the year+ I've owned it I've never put gas in it from a can, so I should have seen a problem from it before now, and I'd expect some sputtering or other problems from a dirty filter. Maybe it just wanted me to pay it a little attention? :lol:

mine has 230k + miles and runs great i love it. but anyways did you have the alt and battery checked at advanced auto or somewhere like that? or did you do it yourself? at the store they go by more than just voltage. Any lights come on that you could pull a code from?

thats odd, hmmm

My Ram did this exact same thing with around 1600 miles on it. Happened around 3 or 4 times. Freaky thing was that it was at the same intersection (not always on the same side of the intersection). smile.gif

Hasn't happened for 10k+ miles. No codes were ever thrown, and it always fired back up quickly.