SBC Turbo. LOTS of questions.

Guest mudbutt

Im looking to take on a new project involving an sbc and some forced induction. Im really not sure where to start as far as what fails first in what engines. I was thinking of starting with an lt-1 since I have access to one complete for under 5 bones. Would this be a logical start, or should I just buy an old 350 and source some aluminum heads and go from there. I want to build a reliable, streetable aluminum head(weight and heat issues)either 327 or 350 to the tune of ~500whp without breaking the bank. I keep reading that you cant tune for boost well on the stock ECU with lt-1 edit, why is this? I Honestly have never messed with the small block chevy and there are so many options, Id rather spend only where it is needed.

if I was going to do a small chevy I'd go with the older style motor(57-87) and build a 383 it can be done for cheap (try performance automotive warehouse in CA the prices are VERY low and its all good name brand stuff) top it off with a good set of world products or edelbrock heads and either gm's ramjet fuel injection or a f.a.s.t. shop around for used stuff and you could probably do the whole deal for say 5k or so

hth

Originally posted by GAS,GRASS OR ASS:

if I was going to do a small chevy I'd go with the older style motor(57-87) and build a 383 it can be done for cheap (try performance automotive warehouse in CA the prices are VERY low and its all good name brand stuff)

^^^ Currently running that exact 383, with the forged upgrades + Dart heads... so far so good.

Good info.If it is something non standard, id rather do it myself. I would also like to keep it 350 or less cubes as gas milage IS a mild concern. Ive thought about doing an ls-1 as it is lighter, stock ecu can be programmed what seems to be fairly well for boost and it can do what I want on stock internals. Im just trying to get a game plan. If stock lt1 components could give me what I want then that would be suitable. I just dont really want a huge list stuff and a standalone. On a stock 4 bolt main 350 at what hp do what parts start to fail(other than pistons) and what is it safe to rev to.

[ 15. September 2004, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: Mud Butt ]