How can u tell if starter is going bad or what..info inside

CJINOHIO03

This car is driving me nuts. It starts fine and then the next day it wont start like its dead. Had the battery checked said it was fine and charging system is fine. The cables were always hokey u had to move the terminals to get it to start soemtimes. I put new ends on and cleaned with corision spray. I also tried a new battery which didnt do much. It turned over a litt le bit then will jsut click. The headlights and accessories still work though. If it is the starter why is it intermittent? thanks in advance

CJ

Is there a certain condition when this happens? Like, maybe when it's wet out? Or completely random? You could have a wire that's falling off? You can always get a starter, replace it. Then, if that's not the problem, return it. It shouldn't be hard to replace it. Just a couple of bolts and a plug.

It could still be the battery. Have you tried jumping it? It could also be that the starters solenoid is corroded. You could take off the starter and either replace the whole unit or replace only the contacts. For toyotas the contacts cost around 0.30 cents and are very easy to replace. could be the same for your car.

I've have bad batteries test as good as new ones at the parts stores so I wouldn't let them diagnose anything.

Evan

I had a similar problem with a truck I had. Go out to start and it would just fine. Go for a drive get back in and it wouldnt start. The problem with mine ended up being a wire on the starter was broken and was making contact but not good contact. Replaced the wire and life was good. Hope this helps

i bet its a bad a starter sounds like the same shit that happened to my 7, sometimes just clicks and doesn't work but if you get lucky it works.

if its giving u shit try hitting it with a hammer it'll work for a while if ur starter isn't too fucked up.

in the corolla i did the starter too, for some reason after i did the tranny swap it didn't want to start, took my starter to advanced auto and it worked but didn't work in my car, the only reason i can figure it worked was b/c at the station in the store they have a slightly higher voltage/current which worked fine as to compared to the old 15 yr wires in the car, got a new starter and it works like a dream.

starters are wierd, i'd just replace it.

could still be a wire.. check all your grounds and resolve all wiring issues.(make sure u clean the terminals on the grounds and reattach them. u can still have enough contact to turn the lights and radio on, but not enough to start the car. with the weather going to crap, water and salt will play a monster role in electrical gremlins showing up. i dont think u have a bad battery. either there bad or not. either loose wire or starter. does it crank or just one click and nothing or does it click like the battery voltage is low?

This is the exact same thing that is going on with my Mustang. The starter on my car is right next to my headers and the heat cooks the starter and causes it to stick sometimes and sometimes its fine. I need to make some kind of a heat sheild for it.