Brake question for 1984 RX7 GSL-SE

Guest jpurdy2003

Guest jpurdy2003

I have acquired a 1984 RX7 GSL-SE. I'll make a thread with pictures and storytelling and all that cool shit later. It needs rear brake pads. When I bought the car, the previous owner mentioned that there was a special tool needed to service most brake components, because the calipers swivel out "similar to a Porsche" rather than unbolting like a normal caliper. He also stated that under no circumstances should I attempt to press out the old brake pads with a c-clamp or similar device.

My questions are as follows:

1. What is this "special tool?"

2. Do I really need it?

3. If so, where can I get it?

4. How much of what I posted above is accurate?

5. Could someone elaborate on the "swivel" of the calipers?

Thank you.

Also, if someone could point me in the direction of a general tech forum for RX7's, that'd be great.

Guest mudbutt
if the tool is like vw,nissan, and a ton of other cars, you can get one at autozone or advance. because of the parking brake, the rear piston has to be turned as it goes in.

yup its a square shape with little spanner tits on it to fiti different size calipers its a called a caliper piston removal tool it also screws them back in 10 bucksat most autoparts stores. if your cheap and brave you can use a large pair of channel locks put them inside the piston and then turn it in just be carefull not to cock it sideways in the bore

Originally posted by GAS,GRASS,OR ASS:

yup its a square shape with little spanner tits on it to fiti different size calipers its a called a caliper piston removal tool it also screws them back in 10 bucksat most autoparts stores. if your cheap and brave you can use a large pair of channel locks put them inside the piston and then turn it in just be carefull not to cock it sideways in the bore

i've done that...it's not bad.