Ok, overheating problem

controler

I have this overheating problem with my accord but let me explain the symptoms. When driving on the highway at or above 3000 rpms (70+mph) for over 20 minutes, the temperature gauge will start to raise. It matters not whether the A/C is on, but the gauge rises faster with it on. Today I changed the thermostat and put brand new coolant in, but still the problem exists. There are no leaks, no air bubbles. The overflow can is full and does not overflow. Oh, and this ONLY happens on the highway when its hot out, I could drive around all day varying rpms city driving. One possible solution I have is that the a/c condencer has many bent fins from bugs and rocks, but it still flows air. Any other suggestions?

Colder plug maybe?

It could be that you had a bad t-stat and you replaced it with a bad t-stat. Don't think it can't happen I just did that last winter. I've seen it several other times also. Other causes could be one of the fans isn't working. could be the fuses or could be that the fan motor is worn out. I'd rotate them by hand and see how they sound and feel and check the fuses. You may even jump to watch them run while your sitting still. The reason for this is you mentioned the A/C makes it worse. A/C will take up a bit of HP and on most cars it puts the fans in a highspeed mode or at least forces the 2nd fan on.

Evan

The Fans' should't need to come on during 70mph highway travel.

I might see if you can have your radiator flushed/cored.

Check and make sure any of the "air dams" or underpinnings aren't missing that helps direct/force the air to the radiator.

Thanks for the suggestions but, both fans work... nothing is obstructing the airflow comming in becides the fins on the condencer, and I just flushed filled the radiator today (failed to mention)

any other suggestions?

Guest FBody Addict
water pump may be going bad, it may sound funny but that can contribute, and pressure check the cap, and any emmisions control equipment like the egr valve, unless you have a v-tec then you don't have one also try spraying out the radiator from the backside to make sure it's clean

Guest FBody Addict
but the egr valve allows some exhaust gas into the cylinder at higher driving speeds and lowers cumbustion temps to control the creation of NOx (not nitrous only, but other oxides of nitrogen as well) gasses and the computer knows it is there, and if it is restricted or sticking in one position it may effect the temp, since it really only opens at freeway speeds

Good, because I ordered one yesterday. When I changed the timing belt at about 190,000 (30k ago), I put a cheapy $20 water pump in from Advanced. Genuine Honda water pumps are ~50. However if the blades on the two are no different, we'll be back to square one.

Guest powers
i had this problem arrise on a dsm i was working on. Only happened on the hwy,it was fine driving around. I thought it was the water pump too, but it wasn't. it was the head gasket. With the sustained higher rpm the gasket was leaking exhaust into the coolant and causing it to overheat. Just thought i would add this if the water pump does not fix your situation.