Greasing ball joints

zeitgeist57

Just how much grease is supposed to leak from the ball joint seal when you lube it?

I am not sure if the joints in my '85 Chevy are still good or if they need to be replaced. There is no front end play, but when I grease the zerk fittings there is a good amount that leaks out from the bottom ball joints. Thanks!

On a ball joint you really shouldn't get alot of grease from them. If it's just a little then don't worry about it. If you think it's more than a little then I'd replace them. Depending on how good the tire are on the vehicle, I'd replace them if you have newer tires.

Yeah you can get them out while they're on the truck (I'm assuming). Hopefully it's not 4x4, so you don't have to deal with the axle bugging you. Usually you can just find something close to the size of the ball joint (like a big socket), and hammer it out. Spray some PB or WD40 on it and beat the shit out of it. If that doesn't work and you have air, then use a air hammer and drive it out. The hammer and big object should get it though. To put the new one in, you can beat it back in but I wouldn't advise it. You'll need a ball joint press (should be able to get from Autozone, Advance etc.). Take the new ball joint with you to make sure they can match it up with their press. Just tap on the new joint to get it started then use the press to push it the rest of the way in.