Problem with 02 cavaliere

xxxShaftxxx

About a week or so ago I was driving home on I70 and I noticed that my check engine light was on. I pulled off at the next exit, went to a gas station and did a check on my oil (was low so I added a quart). I drove home with the check engine light on, took it to auto zone and asked them what was wrong with it (free check engine analysis). Well, they said my Emissions control unit (ECU) is malfunctioning. She told me it wasn't a serious problem, but was a problem.

Well, today I was at best buy and I tried to turn my car on. The ignition would ignite, but when it sounded like the car had turned on the engine would die down to .5 rpm and it wouldn't do anything when I pressed on the gas.

It did this about eight times. Finally I was able to get it to start up by giving it some gas.

Does anyone here know what could be wrong with it?

The problem with it not starting up may not be linked to the ECU problem; I'm just thinking that it is. Anyways, thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Ricochet:

Fucking Cavaliers, they've been nothing but shit ever since they came out. My g/f had an ecu malfunction on her '98 along with 8 recalls. My advice is to sell the heap and buy a more reliable ride like a horse and buggy or something..

hey hey hey... they have there flaws but are infact a very well balanced platform. Not to mention the displacement benifits ;)

Well in the first 3 months of 2002, they still had LD9's (2.4L Twin Cam)in them... after that, they all had 2.2L Ecotec's... but if it was an Eco, it would be a LS Sport. So you have the 2.4 if it really is a Z24.

Do you know the code that the ECU was reading out? If you can get the code, i could find out exactly what you need to fix.

Im not a big fan of GMs factory electronics with this engine to begin with since i build these things anywhere from mild to wild, but at the same time, i know them like the back of my right hand so.

Yea the pre-1996 engines (2.3 Quads) had head gasket issues. The head bolts were too short and stretched pretty easily if you really laid into them.

The 2.4 uses a bigger, beefier bolt. Put a .050 SCE Copper gasket on there and youre good for 59in of pressure if you really want to push it.