88 CRX Si, weird clutch problem

Nitrousbird

It's my roomate's daily beater, but since it is acting up and my daily is down, he is now driving his Moostang and I gotta drive the Rex.

Basically, when the car is cold, the clutch just sticks when you press it in, for a good 30 seconds or so.

Let the car warm up 15 minutes, and it will stick for 1-5 seconds. Drive on the freeway for 10 minutes, it doesn't stick much.

Other things to note:

- Even when the clutch has been engaged for a while and everything is warmed up, it slips if given too much gas. The colder the car is, the more it will want to slip. This makes me believe that the PP isn't putting full pressure on the disc.

- Car has 184k on it. Motor decided to put a rod through the block at 157k, when we put the new motor in this past summer, the clutch looked fine, and worked great until a couple weeks ago. Now it is just getting progressivly worse. (yes, my roomate drives this car 200 miles/day during the week, which is why he bought it as the Mustang was too expensive to drive).

- When the clutch engages, it seems to be at the top of the pedal, and has kind of a lumpy feel to it.

We are guessing it is a problem with either the TO bearing or the pressure plate. My roomate will be pulling the tranny to replace the clutch/pp/to bearing and resurface the flywheel. But if there is any "common" problem that this could be (he said he checked the cable for binding, and that's not it), it would be helpful to know. He is pretty gentle/easy on this car, so this isn't abuse related (motor/distributor/brakes didn't seem to care much about that....this car is a money pit).