Water pump

Buck531

Ok. So I'm replacing the water pump for the FOURTH time in the Buick.. in about 1 1/2 years.

It starts leaking again. Not from the seal, from the pulley itself. No problem... I take it back to Advance (like all the other times), say it's under warranty and get a new one.

But this time.. I got pissed. The guy at the counter (young pup) said that since this is my fourth pump, that i should look into something else that's causing it. WTF? It's not the seal.. and what else could cause a water pump to fail other than shitty parts?

The people who used to work there (or they were on their day off) were cool, and always hooked me up on parts or what not and never gave me shit. Everyone in there today was new and I've never seen them before.

Well, at least Autozone is across the street (but they're even dumber).. :rolleyes:

/rant.

Originally posted by Tractor:

Well it could be that you are installing the belt to tight. That would be about the only problem that would cause failure that soon. It could be bad shit in your water eating the bearings, but probably not.

Evan

It's got a tensioner.. there's really no way in over tightening the belt.

I just think that dude was full of shit. I mean. I've completely flushed out the coolant several times. I doubt it's anything BUT the pump just dying.

Oh well.

the pump prolly has a cheap bearing in it.

they are obligated to continue to replace the pump.

they tell you when something fails of bunch of times to look for somethin else becuase quite often an overtightened belt will kill a bearing faster. scicne you have an automatic tensioner the culprit is the cheap bearing.

my advice is to get a brand new pump from the dealer or shop for another one and make sure it has a usa bearing in it or take the pump apart and press a better bearing in it (rebuild it yourself)

hth

I have a customer that manufactures the BEST water pumps on the planet. Even supplies some of the manufacturers with better-than-OEM quality components. True story! smile.gif

EVERY WATER PUMP LEAKS!!! What QUALITY water pumps do is 1)leak less than cheaper pumps through closer tolerances at the nose bearing and 2) use a "weephole" to collect drips and let them evaporate before they collect into a puddle on the floor of your garage.

*FYI: weephole=collector below a small hole by the front nose bearing that allows the small amount of coolant that seeps past the seals to drip, collect, and evaporate into the atmosphere.

Cheap pumps have no weephole collector, and the coolant drops to the block or floor.