My hachi is stalling!

Kuruma

My AE86 keeps stalling, but only after the engine is warmed up. The motor does not stall during the initial warm-up period, nor does it stall while accelerating. The stalling only occurs when stopped, or when you push the clutch in longer then what it takes to quickly shift gears. Aside from the timing being fucked up, what else could cause this on a toyota 4A-C engine?

Yeah, it turned out to be just a vacuum leak. I had a lapse in concentration, and forgot to replace the hose connecting from the carb to the HIC valve on the air cleaner.

As for the standing of an SR-5, it is not considered an AE85. It's a common misconception as a lot of sites (especially Initial D sites.) haven't actually bothered to do their homework on AE86es before posting information about them that may be wrong. Not bashing it as a series, I like driving to that kind of music, and I have watched a lot of the series, but I didn't buy mine because of the series (was looking at an RX-7 at first, and this car kinda fell into my lap instead by chance after I had given up the idea of finding one.), and I did do a lot of checking before deciding if I *really* wanted it or not.

AE85 is a Japanese-only chassis designation for the Trueno/Levin models of that time that were RWD, with a 3A-U engine powering them. This chassis designation is never used in any US/Euro/Austrailian RWD Corollas/Sprinters/Etc. For a more complete listing of the various incarnations of the AE85/AE86, check out: http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/model_name_comparison_chart.htm

AE86 is the only chassis designation in the US for RWD Corollas from about 1984-1987, with the SR5 using an SOHC 4A-C (carbed) engine, and the GT-S powered by the more robust DOHC 4A-GE (EFI).

The SR5 shares the same interior trim as the AE85 as far as the seats go, and a few other minor details, lacks the side skirts of the GT-S, has less fancy (They are smaller, and only come in all black, not two-tone, and not the same color as the rest of the vehicle) front and rear bumpers, uses the same rear axles as an AE85, with the rear brakes being drum brakes, instead of the rear discs given to GT-S owners. The GT-S chassis also has a few extra/better welds in a few points.

However, despite the similarities to the JDM-only AE85, it is still considered an AE86, which you will find stamped into not only the manufacturer's plate near the firewall, but also on the chassis itself.

You can tell if an AE86 had started it's life as an SR5, even after an engine swap and numerous other changes to make it GT-S spec (or better then GT-S spec, I.E. having had a 4A-GZE swapped into it.) fairly easily. The VIN number of an SR5 will say "AE86" in it, and a GT-S will say "AE88", however, both cars will still say "AE86" on the manufacturer's plate, and on the chassis.

All in all, an SR5 really is a pretty slow car unless you spend a lot on it, but it is a good car to pick up if you want a zippy little japanese hatchback about the size of and shape of a CRX to play around with for fun, but still want RWD. Just don't pay too much for it. I got mine for $400 :D