fiero clutch help

Buck531

Brother just replaced a clutch in a fiero (not sure which year or if it's a 4 or 5 spd).

He said the clutch never engages. He can go through all the gears without even pushing in the clutch pedal.

I was thinking it was the clutch cable itself..because I know fiero's are known for them breaking.

Any other ideas?

Guest slingin mud
Originally posted by Tinman:

Clutch disc installed backwards?

I realy dont know. From what ive been told It was running. when he got the car. Its been sitting for about 3.5 yrs. Dont think its cables they all seem to move. I just put in fuel pump and new tank that was filled with rust.Now the cluch.Is it possible that the hydrolics went bad

First you have to look at what is going on. In most clutch set ups that I've seen if a cable is broken you can't disengage the clutch. If a hydraulic system loses pressure then you can't disengage the clutch either. In your case it doesn't sound like the clutch will engage. If you start it in gear does the car try to move? If not then your clutch disk is not engaging against the flywheel. In this case it could be that the clutch disk is installed backwards. If its got a hydraulic slave cylinder I'd check to make sure the push rod is moving throughout its entire range of motion. You can check this by unbolting the slave cylinder from its mounting location near the throwout arm. Once its removed if the clutch engages itself then you probably need to get a new slave cylinder. If not then you probably need to drop the tranny and double check everything.

Oh one more thing. Also check to make sure that your clutch pedal has enough free play. It can be that the master cylinder pushrod is adjusted out so much that its pushing fluid through the system and holding the clutch off the flywheel.

Evan